View Poll Results: AcerHK GUI

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't use the acerhk driver with my computer.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, but it fails to run. I will post feedback.

5 41.67%
  • Tried it and it works, but I have some suggestions.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, it works great and was just what I was looking for!

3 25.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by arm-c View Post
    Does running

lshw

yield any listing for your bluetooth hardware? I hate to ask the question, as it seams you are quite knowledgeable about the commands, but is there bluetooth hardware in the device? I have seen several computers that have "bluetooth" indicator on it, but the hardware is not installed.

There is a new replacement for the acerhk driver, but I think it only addresses the wifi issue. I guess searches for your device and ubuntu and or linux have turned up nothing of value?

If you can find out what hardware you have through in make/model of card, search for that and linux to see if there are other users out there that have gotten it working and how. Usually, the same hardware is used by several manufacturers in different computers.

If you find the hardware make/model, let me know. I will try to do a search for it also.

I hope you can figure it out. I have a CAC Card reader built in to my acer that never worked... ended up just getting an external. Perhaps you may need to spend $12 - $20 to get a bluetooth dongle... (recommend the Belkin brand as they work good for me... worth the couple extra bucks.)

cheers,
    A
    Thanks for your reply. Of the two Acer netbooks I have, I can be most confident that the Gateway LT2115u has bluetooth. The specs claim it "includes Bluetooth 2.1+EDR capabilities for wirelessly connecting to cell phones and peripherals." And I'm pretty sure I turned on the bluetooth radio when it had Windows -- before I loaded Ubuntu (but that was about a year ago, so my memory could be wrong). But lshw does not show a bluetooth adapter. Is it possible that the Linux kernel cannot see the bluetooth hardware?

My newer Acer Aspire One AOD255E may not actually have the bluetooth hardware... I loaded Ubuntu without ever booting into Windows on this netbook.

I have an Asus brand Bluetooth dongle (ASUS USB-BT211 USB 2.0 Mini Bluetooth Dongle). Here's the link to it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320057
    I have not been able to get it to work yet, but I haven't found the Linux driver for it yet. So I might have to get a different dongle.

One comment on NewEgg says the AZiO BTD-V201 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Adapter (Class 1, V2.1 + EDR) will work on Ubuntu out of the box. I like the 100m range. Here's a link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833340012

EDIT: here's one more that people say will work on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10:
    cirago BTA-6210 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Dongle support Bluetooth 2.1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833242003

EDIT2: BTW, the Acer AO D255E gives an error on bootup:
    acer-wmi: unable to detect available WMID devices
    Could this be why lshw can't detect any bluetooth adapters?
    Last edited by MountainX; February 25th, 2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: acer-wmi error
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

I honestly don't know which to tell you. Read the reviews. Problems I have had in the past are: bt dongle not being recognized on insertion. The Belkin ones I have always work great on being recognized. The other ones I have tried have been finicky.

To my knowledge, the acer-wmi only handles wifi hardware... but i don't know for sure as i have never used it. If you are loading both acer-wmi and acerhk.ko, there may be a conflict... Try different combinations if certain that you have bluetooth hardware built in. If all you have is wifi (or going with bluetooth dongle) and the acer-wmi meets your wifi needs, uninstall the older acerhk.ko driver and use the newer standard.

for your infomation, the acerhk.ko driver serves as a software switch (on/off) for the hardware it supports. In my old acer travelmate c300, once it was activated, it was seen as a usb device (as well as a hcid). You will not need acerhk.ko for a dongle, as the usb system will pick it up and the standard linux bluetooth stack will handle it (if installed). Same stack handles it for acerhk.ko devices once they are 'powered on'. Weird system they choose to go with... guess it saved them a couple of dollars not to place a full "hardware" switch in.

I have no problem answering general questions, but if not directly related to the acerhkgui / acerhk, send me a private message.

Regards,
    Arick

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arm-c View Post
    I honestly don't know which to tell you. Read the reviews. Problems I have had in the past are: bt dongle not being recognized on insertion. The Belkin ones I have always work great on being recognized. The other ones I have tried have been finicky.

To my knowledge, the acer-wmi only handles wifi hardware... but i don't know for sure as i have never used it. If you are loading both acer-wmi and acerhk.ko, there may be a conflict... Try different combinations if certain that you have bluetooth hardware built in. If all you have is wifi (or going with bluetooth dongle) and the acer-wmi meets your wifi needs, uninstall the older acerhk.ko driver and use the newer standard.

for your infomation, the acerhk.ko driver serves as a software switch (on/off) for the hardware it supports. In my old acer travelmate c300, once it was activated, it was seen as a usb device (as well as a hcid). You will not need acerhk.ko for a dongle, as the usb system will pick it up and the standard linux bluetooth stack will handle it (if installed). Same stack handles it for acerhk.ko devices once they are 'powered on'. Weird system they choose to go with... guess it saved them a couple of dollars not to place a full "hardware" switch in.

I have no problem answering general questions, but if not directly related to the acerhkgui / acerhk, send me a private message.

Regards,
    Arick
    Thank you! Those suggestions are helpful! It is very nice of you to take the time to help on this forum.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans

Hi, please take a look at the bug report that I've incorrectly placed in debian's mailing list, but should have sent it to AcerHK developers: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=646585

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello,

After years of using this wonderfull tool, I've trying today to install it on Lubuntu 12.04. I had an error related to the module compiling, more accurately to linkage.h.
    After several hours of working on it (it's been years since the last time I had to compile a kernel module ), I've created a Makefile which can compile the module and load it, hope it helps!

Code:
    obj-m += acerhk.o

all:
    	make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules

clean:
    	make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) clean

install:
    	mkdir -p /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/extra
    	cp -v acerhk.ko /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/extra
    	depmod -a
    I don't know if this Makefile is correct or has any bugs (I'm a Java developer, duh...), but it works for me and hopes it helps!

Thanks again for this incredible tool!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345