Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Beans
    117
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    I may be wrong but if you use the onboard graphics port, it pretty much negates the fact you have graphics cards. Try using only the graphics card ports and install nvidia drivers.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Isolated Digital Reign
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    In the ServerLayout section you can specify the screen setup and within the screens you can just omit the intel device. Additionally you may be forced to use the "SingleCard" "true" option within the ServerLayout section to force X to just ignore any other card than the first specified screen.

    That way I've configured the system at work that contains a Radeon X1300Pro, an old nVidia Riva TNT2 and a Radeon 7000/VE to just use the X1300 for correct initialization.

    And remember that the X-Server is not the only one that has problems with graphics cards of different vendors but Vista has the exact same Problem (found that out the hard way).

    C]-[aoZ

    P.S.: The problem exists since Intrepid and also remains in Jaunty until a new X-Server version gets introduced that has appropriate fixes. And as there is still a lot of work to do I suspect it wouldn't get resolved before the next version of Ubuntu.
    Last edited by CHaoSlayeR; April 24th, 2009 at 05:20 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    5

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    I'm sure it's possible to get just one of my screens working but I can't justify switching from XP if it means losing the other 3 screens. Looks like I'll have to shelve Ubuntu for another 6 months and just keep my fingers crossed.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Isolated Digital Reign
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    As an alternative you could take Ubuntu Hardy Heron or Debian Lenny. Both of them use a version of the X-server that isn't affected by the problems and bugs mentioned here.

    As an alternative you could use the two FX 5200 in parallel if you let one of them initialize first so that way the same BIOS gets valid for both cards which in turn means that both cards can be used.

    As each of the FX 5200 should be able to drive two monitors you could still use 4 monitors.

    Greetz,

    C]-[aoZ

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    16

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    So you are saying I could run Hardy Heron (8.04), and use both of my ATI cards to drive 3 monitors total?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    5

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    I may give 8.04 a try just to see if it works. Will I be able to upgrade from there or will that start breaking things?

    To the best of my knowledge, the nVidia cards I have only drive a single display. Each card has a DVI and an s-video port. It looks like the DVI may be dual-link but that doesn't mean I can split it to two separate, non-mirrored displays, does it?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    16

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbaird View Post
    So you are saying I could run Hardy Heron (8.04), and use both of my ATI cards to drive 3 monitors total?
    No go with 8.04.. not sure why it would work anyways since it uses xrandr 1.2? I only get one video card to work.. not both.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    5

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    I installed 8.04 and it looks like I'm close. I was able to get all 4 monitors to show something. Once I enabled Xinerama in my xorg.conf I was able to get really close to what I want. One of my Intel cards was the primary and both nVidia cards were extended. The only problem now is getting both Intel devices to act independently. Like I said, I've got an ADD2 card which essentially just adds another DVI port to the onboard chip. I did some searching and someone else got this type of card to work right by adding in some DevicePresence options. I've not been able to find the right configuration yet though. I found that I can add those options in without a problem but when I toss a Screen command into the Device section things stop working. I have not been able to find good documentation on the DevicePresence option either to know what I'm attempting to do with it. Any ideas?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Isolated Digital Reign
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbaird View Post
    No go with 8.04.. not sure why it would work anyways since it uses xrandr 1.2? I only get one video card to work.. not both.
    Once again:

    This is NOT a RandR issue!!! See my previous link to the bugs that are used to track down the problems behind the issues.

    As it should work with Hardy (I had all three cards of mine at work running together nicely which are totally different) it may be a configuration issue. Maybe the Radeon 9250 don't play nicely with RandR 1.2 and need some extra config in the xorg.conf? For troubleshooting could you attach your Xorg.0.log?

    @hyphenistic:

    With Radeon cards using the open-source drivers I had success following this guide for Intel chips, so give it a try on yours:

    http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

    C]-[aoZ
    Last edited by CHaoSlayeR; April 25th, 2009 at 02:05 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    16

    Re: RandR 1.3 won't support multiple video cards - what do multimonitor users do?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyphenistic View Post
    I installed 8.04 and it looks like I'm close. I was able to get all 4 monitors to show something. Once I enabled Xinerama in my xorg.conf I was able to get really close to what I want. One of my Intel cards was the primary and both nVidia cards were extended. The only problem now is getting both Intel devices to act independently. Like I said, I've got an ADD2 card which essentially just adds another DVI port to the onboard chip. I did some searching and someone else got this type of card to work right by adding in some DevicePresence options. I've not been able to find the right configuration yet though. I found that I can add those options in without a problem but when I toss a Screen command into the Device section things stop working. I have not been able to find good documentation on the DevicePresence option either to know what I'm attempting to do with it. Any ideas?
    So, with a clean install of 8.04 and an unmodified xorg.conf, you were able to get all 4 of your monitors displaying SOMETHING?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •