Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distro for corporate environments?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Distro for corporate environments?

If you are thinking to work on server environments then you have to play with CEntos and redhat.Dont waste time with suse since i never saw and heard a Suse server for YEARS

Beans

CentOS, Ubuntu/Debian for your distribution

As far as development environments go, a lot of places use in house development software. The most popular open source environments are Netbeans, Eclipse, Kdevelop, and Geany.

Languages that are most popular are Java, Ruby, PHP, Perl, C, and believe it or not Fortran.

Getting back into the fold really isn't hard. Read Slashdot, and attend conferences. You'll be back in no time.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans

PS: Slashdot is slashdot.org

No matter the language concentrate on OO (object oriented programming techniques {for C this means looking into objective C and C++)

And, I forgot to mention that Bash is almost a necessity despite it not being oft mentioned (I made the mistake of not learning Bash during college, and I got to the market place only to find out that despite no one mentioning Bash, it was used everywhere! All three of my jobs as a programmer so far have used Bash extensively).
    else {linux = windows;}

Beans

Thanks for the clarification on CentOS/OpenSUSE and the programming questions.

I think I'd go with CentOS. My laptop will have a 64 bit Celeron M processor. Are there any caveats in choosing the 64 bit versus the 32 bit OS?
    Last edited by nautilusny; February 4th, 2009 at 06:11 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nautilusny View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on CentOS/OpenSUSE and the programming questions.

I think I'd go with CentOS. My laptop will have a 64 bit Celeron M processor. Are there any caveats in choosing the 64 bit versus the 32 bit OS?
    There were a while back, not as much anymore. If you are using interpreted languages for development, you shouldn't have any problems at all, but 64bit binaries will not run on 32bit machines. 32bit binaries will often run on 64bit though.
    else {linux = windows;}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12