Thread: BIOS not detecting my Hard Drives

Beans

BIOS not detecting my Hard Drives

One of the hard drives is from the current computer the other one is from mine. My system crashed or something and would not boot anymore so I simply took all the pieces except the motherboard out and put them into an older tower.

Everything worked really well except the hard drive I was using had a corrupted windows operation system where the most things were blocked out by admin access when we did not set it up as a multiple account computer nor put password protection on it.

The motherboard is older than the one I had in my computer but like I said everything worked fine until I tried to make one a master and the other a slave and now BIOS doesn't detect either of the hard drives no matter what I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: BIOS not detecting my Hard Drives

Quote Originally Posted by maskedpaige View Post
    One of the hard drives is from the current computer the other one is from mine. My system crashed or something and would not boot anymore so I simply took all the pieces except the motherboard out and put them into an older tower.

Everything worked really well except the hard drive I was using had a corrupted windows operation system where the most things were blocked out by admin access when we did not set it up as a multiple account computer nor put password protection on it.

The motherboard is older than the one I had in my computer but like I said everything worked fine until I tried to make one a master and the other a slave and now BIOS doesn't detect either of the hard drives no matter what I do.
    What make and model are the drives? Are you sure you've got the jumpers set right? Some motherboards don't always play nice with the cable select jumper, if that's what you're using try setting them manually to master and slave. Also, some drives like Western Digital's, have a different setting for Master With Slave Present, than Master Without Slave Present. It would also be a good idea to try the drives one at a time, each set to master and at the far end of the cable. One faulty drive can take down the whole chain, so if one is bad it could make the other undetectable. It can't hurt to reseat your cables, too.

How old are we talking here, when you say it's older than the computer it came from? If it's pretty old, the bios may not recognize drives of that capacity. There might be a bios update to fix that, if it's not too old.

Another thing to check, is if the drives actually spin up. Listen or even touch the drive when it's powered on to see if it's on. Of course discharge extra static by touching the case before you touch internal components.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."