Thread: Setting Up Samsung SCX-4200 Multifunction Laser Printer & Scanner, Intrepid 32 bit

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Setting Up Samsung SCX-4200 Multifunction Laser Printer & Scanner, Intrepid 32 bit

I chose this mono laser and scanner combo because it will work on Ubuntu – and then the fun began!

It turns out that it all works but there's a combination of poor Samsung drivers, changed file locations across different distro versions, and wrong ownership issues.

The following are extracts from a number of threads and posts into a single set of instructions, which should result in the printer and scanner being set up on a brand new install of 8.10 Intrepid i386 32bit.

Splix2 Printer Driver

After reading a number of posts, I decided that installing Splix2 printer driver was simplest since it automatically identifies the correct USB printer port.
    Go to http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...msung-SCX-4200

Download splix2 for 1386 32 bit from here

Install splix2 by clicking on the .deb.

At one point when it pauses, click 'Terminal' to open the terminal window, which will be at
    general type of mail configuration is wanted.

Select 1 (no configuration)

Wait for the installation and configuration to finish.

Installing the Samsung Unified Printer Driver (SUPD) Part I

The Samsung Unified Linux Driver also installs a printer driver, but it won't be used due to port selection problems.
    The part that will be used is the Samsung Unified Driver Configuration (SUDC) program, giving central Desktop access to the printer and scanner settings.

From various posts in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341621

Download the SUPD from

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...xDriver.tar.gz

into the Home folder.

Decompress by clicking on the tar.gz file (decompressing this way now works with the updated Samsung driver)

This creates a new cdroot directory in the Home folder.

Sorting out User Permissions

Move to cdroot directory:

Code:
    cd ~/cdroot
    and correct the ownership issues with

Code:
    sudo chown -R root:root *

Installing the SUPD Part II

If not already there move to the cdroot directory again:

Code:
    cd ~/cdroot
    and install the SUPD

Code:
    sudo ./autorun
    When the Printer wizard appears, select a random port (e.g. dev/mfp4) - it will be removed later.

On the next screen click Manual Select bullet.
    Next screen scroll to scx-4200 splix.....(openprinting....) - shortened this down but it's clear which one to pick.
    Click Finish to complete.

Dont test the printer since it won't work due to the wrong port selection issue.

The SUPD is now installed with an icon on the Desktop
    Close all installation boxes.

Getting the Printer to work

System > Administration > Printing

Delete SCX-4200 printer if present.

New Printer.
    Select SCX-4200 splix2 driver from list.
    Complete rest of details.

Run a test print which should give the Ubuntu colour scale page (in black and white).

Go to SUDC, click on SCX-4200 series printer (default) which should be present and run a test print.
    This should print a Test Page with a (black and white) colour wheel etc.
    Close all open printer boxes.

That completes the printer configuration.

Installing the Scanner

Go to http://jacobo.tarrio.org/tech/scx4200

Download the driver permission 'hack' from here

and install:

Code:
    tar xfz fix-nopar-scx4200-2.00.95-2008112701.tar.gz
    Enter
    Code:
    cd fix-nopar
    Enter
    Code:
    ./check.sh
    For me this resulted in:

“The 32-bit library has been found at /usr/lib
    You may replace it with the one in the "i386" directory”

Substitute “/usr/lib” below with whatever you have above; same for “i386”

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1 /usr/lib/oldlibmfp.so.1.0.1
    Enter
    Code:
    sudo cp i386/libmfp.so.1.0.1 /usr/lib/
    Enter
    Code:
    sudo adduser $USER lp
    Enter

Sorting out User Permissions for 8.10 Intrepid

Referring to http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=168

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
    ADD THE LINES immediately below

domount devpts "" /dev/pts devpts -onoexec,nosuid,gid=$TTYGRP,mode=$TTYMODE:

Code:
    #
    # Magic to KEEP /proc/bus/usb working
    #
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
    Save and close.
    Reboot.

That completes the Scanner configuration.

Many thanks to the numerous Ubuntu forum post contributors, and those who modified the printer drivers and produced great documentation.
    Last edited by nickpaton; June 18th, 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Update splix Driver
    Old guitarists never die....

They just sustain.........and sustain........and sustain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Setting Up Samsung SCX-4200 Multifunction Laser Printer & Scanner, Intrepid 32 bi

I've just set-up a Samsung SCX-4200 on my EeePC with Intrepid installed on it on a network share. We have an XP box with a Samsung SCX-4200 plugged into it. The XP box is connected by CAT-5 to our wireless router/modem. I'm using my EeePC 901 over the wireless interface. Firstly I had to share the SCX-4200 on the XP box. Then I followed the instructions in [ubuntu] Samsung scx 4200 ubuntu 8.04 (post number 1103651). Following these instructions placed an icon on my desktop called Samsung Unified Driver Configurator. I then added the SMB// path into the Configurator. I didn't try the scanner yet, but I successfully printed a test page from my EeePC 901 over the wi-fi, which was my objective.
    Last edited by steveparbkk; April 27th, 2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Change Notification type

Beans
    Distro

Re: Setting Up Samsung SCX-4200 Multifunction Laser Printer & Scanner, Intrepid 32 bi

Just done the same here, but I cannot find a way to use the scanner as a network scanner - ie plugged into a printer server on the network.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Sorry, I didn't set the notify status on my post, so I only just discovered your reply. That XP box and printer/scanner is at my home in the UK and I'm now back in Asia so I can't test the scanner until I am back in the UK. I'll attempt to do so when next back there but that won't be for several months.

Beans

Hi--

This worked just great for me on Ubuntu 9.04. But now I've migrated to 9.10, and the scanner part of the printer doesn't work. What would you advise. Should I delete everything and do it all over again, or is it futile because the new build of Ubuntu won't respond the same way? I really need to get this scanner part of the machine working again. Please help.

Thanks,
    Elboeufx

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks also for trying it on 9,04 and reporting it works - I'll update the title etc to reflect that.

Could you be more specific when you say it doesn't work. Do you mean that you get errors when you carry out the commands?

If so could you post screens with the errors.

Also was it a brand new 9.10 install or an upgrade? Note that my instructions refer to a brand new install so that may be the problem.

I'm not sure if I can help you very much but I'll do my best.

Beans

Hi Nick--

It was, indeed, an upgrade.

There is no error. When I opened Xsane, I used to get an image (as I still do at home when my Epson scanner is attached) that had two choices on it: the built-in camera, and the Samsung SCX-4200. Now, when I open Xsane, there is no "choice," it just goes straight to the camera, as if there is no other scanner attached. When I open the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator, moreover, it only shows the camera under the "scanner" tab, though it shows the SCX-4200 under printers (at home, it shows the Epson under scanners). I'm wondering whether I should de-install everything and then go back through your script again and reinstall it. But then I need directions on how to uninstall (the uninstall option, for instance, under the Samsung Driver Configurator, won't let me proceed because it says I'm "not authorized" to do it.

Thanks for writing back to me.

Cheers,
    Tamas