View Poll Results: Which Ubuntu flavor does your Brother MFC serve?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fiesty Fawn (testing)

38 37.62%
  • Edgy Eft (6.10)

56 55.45%
  • Dapper Drake (6.06.x)

14 13.86%
  • Breezy Badger (5.10)

0 0%
  • Hoary Hedgehog (5.04)

0 0%
  • Warty Warthog (4.10)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Brother MFC210C

Beans

Wink Re: HOWTO: Install Brother MFC210C

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw28 View Post
    Has anyone managed to get the fax working in Xubuntu edgy? It shows up in CUPS but the brpcfax script doesn't open the dialler. If I open the jar file the script refers to the dialler opens but it has nothing to print because it wasn't opened via the script.
    Forgive me for not answering sooner. But I was hoping some brave soul would answer your question. However the most this will manage is a "bump".

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Xubuntu. So many flavours of Ubuntu, so few PCs on which to install them!

Have you read how I managed sending faxes in the tutorial? It's made for Dapper and GNOME and I don't know how well it will work. But if you try it and it works, please let us know. You're helping the community if you do.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Brother MFC210C

A liitle more detail (Xubuntu edgy):
    I followed both Bobsongs' and Matchless' instructions. The printer works fine. The fax is installed correctly via CUPS and has the same URI as the printer.
    I've used the custom command /usr/bin/brpcfax in Thunar to open the .ps file but this will not open /usr/local/Brother/fax/brmfcfax.jar for some reason. brmfcfax.jar is in this directory and so corresponds with the location in the brpcfax script. I have java installed and if I click on brmfcfax.jar the dialler opens but has nothing to fax becuase it wasn't opened by the script..
    Strangely the .ps file shows up in the queue in CUPS.
    Edit/Delete Message

Beans

Below are the automated install scripts. It will install the fax, printing and scanner drivers for you. It will also prompt to setup the fax drivers automatically after it installs the drivers. Please note that the setup portion of the fax drivers only prompts if your running gnome. In order to fax, simply right click on any postscript file (ps extenstion) in gnome and select open with BRFAX. The dialer will pop up and you can fax from there. See the first page tutorial for more detailed instructions. Be sure and choose the right version for the OS you are running. If you scanner doesn't work after installing. Try running
    Code:
    sudo xsane
    from the command line. If this works, follow the instructions below. I will at some point place this into the script, so it is not needed to be done manually.
    Code:
    sudo sane-find-scanner
    this will give you the values to put in /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules So,
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    Add the info you get from the first command to the bottom of the file IE for the 210c it's 04f9, and 0161. I've shown the example entries below
    Code:
    # Brother|MFC 115C SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="018c", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner" # Brother|MFC 210C SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0161", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner" # Brother|MFC 215C SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0193", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    replace the vendor and product ids, if they are different for your brother printer. Make sure you are part of the scanner group
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G scanner yourusername
    Restart your computer and run this
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.sane
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by balloons; July 15th, 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: updated with xsane info

Beans

Xubuntu edgy problem solved.

The problem was not with Xubuntu edgy at all but with java 1.6.
    I ran "java -jar /usr/local/Brother/fax/brmfcfax.jar" in a terminal and got the error "java command not found". This was odd because I could open brmfcfax.jar just by double clicking on it in Thunar.
    A little searching revealed that this error is common with installations of linux java 1.6 and is not an ubuntu specific issue.
    I had installed java through Synaptic and so marked it for complete removal. I then installed it via Automatix which correctly made the path for the java command. It now works perfectly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw28 View Post
    Xubuntu edgy problem solved....
    Thanks. I'll see what I can do about reshaping the entire tutorial and adding this in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi all,

I am a complete Ubuntu beginner, and have also ran into problems whilst attempting to fire up my Brother DCP 115C.

Here are the steps which I've thus far taken:

Originally I googled and located the brother linux driver site, noticing the message which states:

Note to users of: DCP-115C, DCP-120C, DCP-315CN, DCP-340CW, MFC-215C, MFC-425CN, MFC-640CW, MFC-820CW:
    Please use the MFC-210C driver as an alternative solution.
    I proceeded to download the MFC-210C driver .deb to my desktop, double clicked it and selected the option to install the package.

Upon selecting system->administration-printing I opted to set up a new printer, as the printer is already set up Ubuntu detected the printer correctly (DCP 115C), proceeding to the next screen to select a driver I was unable to locate the recently installed MFC-210C driver, strange!?

I took the option for a differing DCP model, which ubuntu seemed to accept, however upon printing a test page, and subsequent other pages from open office, the print job is sent to the printer and also indicates that it is printing, but nothing pops out of my printer!

After drinking more coffee, and searching the forums, I located this thread, and proceeded to copy the instructions provided.

starting with

Code:
    sudo aptitude install csh
    this part being successful

next

Code:
    sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
    which resulted in

Code:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/spool/lpd': File exists
    good, the dir is already there.....

next

Code:
    sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd/DCP115C
    Creating a new printer within system->admin->printing

next

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/print/mfc210clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
    *the file is located on my desktop in "print", hence the name change.

as the file had already been installed via a differing route as explained above, no new files were installed.

next the cups! which although seemed to install, kicked up the following error:

Code:
    turner@turner-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/print/cupswrappermfc210c_1.0.0-1_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 87575 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace cupswrappermfc210c 1.0.0-1 (using .../cupswrappermfc210c_1.0.0-1_i386.deb) ...
    lpadmin: The printer or class was not found.
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ ok ] 
    Unpacking replacement cupswrappermfc210c ...
    Setting up cupswrappermfc210c (1.0.0-1) ...
    rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ ok ] 
    lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file!
    now I went into my sys->admin->printing tab and printed a test page, although I receive a message that one print job is being processed, and the job remains in "print jobs", still nothing actually comes out of the printer.....(see screen shots)

frustrating!

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	27738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print2.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	27739  

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Install Brother MFC210C

Hi every one!

I've followed this great howto since Dapper came out and everything worked fine, but after upgrading to Edgy, then to Feisty, thanks God, the printer part still working but not the scanner part.Openig Xsane gives me a window with the fallowing error:

Failed to open device ' brother2:bus2:dev1':
    Error during device I/O

Checking if Xsane finds the scanner gives me this:

Code:
    rodolfo@amdasus:~$ sane-find-scanner | grep usb
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x0161) at libusb:001:002
    rodolfo@amdasus:~$
    Evidently Xsane finds my scanner but is unable to open the device.Thanks in advance for your time and help. Any clues and hints will be really appreciated.
    AMD Phenom II 940 X4+FOXCONN A7DA-S+Corsair 8Gb 1066Mhz DDR2+PCIe Sapphire Radeon HD-4870 1Gb+WDC Blue 2 x 320Gb. WDC Black 1 x 1 Tb JBOD+Hec Zephyr 750w PSU
    Registered Linux user #358506 --- Registered Ubuntu user #6814

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello Galban,

please make this:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Input this Text :

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto,devmode=0666 0 0

Input to Terminal:

sudo umount /proc/bus/usb
    sudo mount /proc/bus/usb
    sudo mknod -m 666 /dev/usbscanner c 180 48

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello Grosser. Thnaks for your prompt answer.

This line was already on my fstab:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto,devmode=0666 0 0

and I did those inputs to terminal. but unfortunelly I still getting the same error message as soon as I open Xsane. Thanks again anyways
    AMD Phenom II 940 X4+FOXCONN A7DA-S+Corsair 8Gb 1066Mhz DDR2+PCIe Sapphire Radeon HD-4870 1Gb+WDC Blue 2 x 320Gb. WDC Black 1 x 1 Tb JBOD+Hec Zephyr 750w PSU
    Registered Linux user #358506 --- Registered Ubuntu user #6814

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Somites XSane needs sudo rights to work with the Brother-Scanner. Please test this, maybe it goes.

Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast