Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Mount location (USB flash drive cannot be mounted)

Beans

Angry Unable to Mount location (USB flash drive cannot be mounted)

When I plug in any of my usb flash drives, nothing happens. If I go to places>Computer, it shows up as USB Drive. If I try to double click it it says "Unable to Mount location." Any ides on how to mount this?
    Oh and I'm using Hardy Heron.
    Thanks,
    Zack

Beans

Re: Unable to Mount location (USB flash drive cannot be mounted)

Quote Originally Posted by khfrekek View Post
    When I plug in any of my usb flash drives, nothing happens. If I go to places>Computer, it shows up as USB Drive. If I try to double click it it says "Unable to Mount location." Any ides on how to mount this?
    Oh and I'm using Hardy Heron.
    Thanks,
    Zack
    There should be a little arrow that you can expand for more error information. What happens when you try this?

Each line is a single line of command

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/usb
    sudo mount -t TYPE /dev/sdb1 /media/usb/
    where TYPE is the type of: ext3, fat, fat32, ntfs, etc. If it is ntfs, try using

Code:
    sudo mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
    Post the output and/or the error message from when it says "unable to mount location".
    If you like my posts please feel free to visit and support my website where I have a collection of tutorials, scripts, and articles relating to Linux/FreeBSD, Apache, Windows, PHP, servers, and desktops.
    http://ckozler.net (click)

Beans

Under where it says unable to mount location all it says is "can't mount file," no list arrows.

when I entered sudo mkdir /media/usb, the output was:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/usb': File exists

when I entered sudo mount -t FAT32 /dev/sdb1 /media/usb/, the output was:
    mount: special device /dev/sdbl does not exist

Beans

Under where it says unable to mount location all it says is "can't mount file," no list arrows.

when I entered sudo mkdir /media/usb, the output was:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/usb': File exists

Ok, please post the output of

Code:
    ls -al /media
    sudo fdisk -l
    If you like my posts please feel free to visit and support my website where I have a collection of tutorials, scripts, and articles relating to Linux/FreeBSD, Apache, Windows, PHP, servers, and desktops.

Beans

Oh nevermind, I fixed it! I plugged it into our Windows computer, the computer found it just fine, so i copied a few files into it, and now it is detected on my linux computer. very strange.. Thanks so much for all your help though!

Beans

Oh nevermind, I fixed it! I plugged it into our Windows computer, the computer found it just fine, so i copied a few files into it, and now it is detected on my linux computer. very strange.. Thanks so much for all your help though!
    Probably just had to be unmounted properly. I am still interested as to why it didnt find it as /dev/sdb1, all well.

Beans

I found this thread most interesting. I have an external hard drive, 160gb Freecom. I mounted it during installation and it has worked fine. I use it mostly for backups and as a location for some big folders. Yesterday while plugging in an USB extension lead, I needed the bluetooth dongle moved of the back of the computer, I plugged it into a different USB socket. I then coulden't get access to it and in the end I rebooted into windows to check it was still working, it was, I had restarted the computer while trying to work out what had gone wrong, but back into Ubuntu without resolving it. When I came back to Ubuntu there it was working normally. If anyone knows what this was I would like to know just in case it happens again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by XanTrax View Post
    Probably just had to be unmounted properly. I am still interested as to why it didnt find it as /dev/sdb1, all well.
    Might have been a typo?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    Might have been a typo?
    Ah ya, I see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by dave r View Post
    I found this thread most interesting. I have an external hard drive, 160gb Freecom. I mounted it during installation and it has worked fine. I use it mostly for backups and as a location for some big folders. Yesterday while plugging in an USB extension lead, I needed the bluetooth dongle moved of the back of the computer, I plugged it into a different USB socket. I then coulden't get access to it and in the end I rebooted into windows to check it was still working, it was, I had restarted the computer while trying to work out what had gone wrong, but back into Ubuntu without resolving it. When I came back to Ubuntu there it was working normally. If anyone knows what this was I would like to know just in case it happens again.
    Well, I cant really explain that. What I can explain is sometimes when USB hardware is used in both Windows and Linux, sometimes Windows does not release it properly. I know, for me at least, that sometimes even a regular shut down on my Windows side, my USB jump drive sometimes will not mount and say because of an unclean unmount or unclean device removal on Windows. Simply forcing the mount, rebooting the machine, and/or just logging out and logging back in has solved some very quirky USB hardware problems for me. Primarily because sometimes the USB hardware needs some kind of reset to reinitialize it.

Beans

XanTrax I know its weird, I was thinking that with it working properly from the start I woulden't have to worry about it, obviously not. The thing is the computer is a family one used by everyone and sometimes the drive gets turned of, sometimes the computer won't start with the drive turned on, I think sometimes the computer tries to boot from it, so it would have been nice to find out why it happened and perhaps come up with a way to stop it happening again. At least it wont take me by suprise if it happens again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast