Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Combat Arms Ubuntu Trademark Infringement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Combat Arms Ubuntu Trademark Infringement?

Upon close look at both logos, it appears that the heads on the "Clan" logo are attached, whereas on the Ubuntu logo, they are detached. They are very close, but not exactly the same.

Beans

Post Re: Combat Arms Ubuntu Trademark Infringement?

Quote Originally Posted by lyceum View Post
    I would think that is Canonical really cares they will do something. I think it is funny that they used a symbol of people in a circle holding hands on a war game. That is what I do when I run into my friends on the battle field, we drop our weapons and hold hands. The power of love
    You don't need money, don't take fame,
    Don't need no credit card to ride this train,
    Its strong and its sudden and its cruel sometimes,
    But it might just save your life.
    That's the power of love!
    That's the power of love!

: )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lyceum View Post
    I would think that is Canonical really cares they will do something. I think it is funny that they used a symbol of people in a circle holding hands on a war game. That is what I do when I run into my friends on the battle field, we drop our weapons and hold hands. The power of love

If only the power of love protected property now-adays. I say if they dont ask for a cease and desist than atleast ask for a mention or a disclamer be added to the game, or maybe a link to ubuntu in theoptions panel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think you guys are jumping at nothing. Combat Arms is a free game anyway, they dont make any money. Besides, isnt it good that the Ubuntu logo gets seen everywhere? Its free advertising in a way, dont knock it
    A computer is only as powerful as the user who uses it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBellisBrown View Post
    I think you guys are jumping at nothing. Combat Arms is a free game anyway, they dont make any money. Besides, isnt it good that the Ubuntu logo gets seen everywhere? Its free advertising in a way, dont knock it
    They do make money, by selling equipment for your character like modded guns and clothes and such, that is how they keep the game afloat. You have to set a strong precedent with things like this, you can't just let people use your copyrighted property...before long others might get away with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The issues with trademark infringement is that if the infringing product is really crap one, people will associate that with the logo. So when they see the real thing, they might think it's that it's that crap one - and discard it.

Beans

I've noticed this right after I installed the game a long time ago. I'm pretty certain the designer might have used the original ubuntu logo, but i think it's too minor of an infringement to pursue. Just email them and ask them to change graphic.
    Ubuntu Corner - My personal Ubuntu based blog.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If canonical doesn't protect its trademark it will lose it.
    A os without a unique logo is lame.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Combat Arms Ubuntu Trademark Infringement?

SUCCESS! I declare success!

InaTux has just stated:

"Combat Arms, as of the "02-24-2009 [Unscheduled Maintenance]" update, no longer uses the Ubuntu trademark! A "cease and desist" order must have been sent, or Nexon had the trademark pulled, to prevent legal action. The new icon has a similar design, but, is far from the Ubuntu logo."

We did it boys

Beans

Very cool

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast