Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does windows OS use??

Beans

Re: What does windows OS use??

Quote Originally Posted by druellan View Post
    BTW, how MACOS´s kernel suits here? My a appreciation is that its an unix-based microkernel with kernel-modules attached to it?
    You will get more than you want from this link:

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html
    Last edited by handy; February 3rd, 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: disambiguation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by druellan View Post
    Mmm, Minix is a stand alone project?
    Pretty much so. It was built for educational purposes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyArcher View Post
    Pretty much so. It was built for educational purposes.
    Originally, yes, and it still is used as such, though in theory MINIX3 was supposed to focus more on a true usability aspect. I haven't noticed much difference from the two on the user level. Other people's experiences may vary.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    Sorivenul,

That page is hilarious xD
    I was expecting a read-100-times-to-understand explanation of the matter, and all it uses is a DUCK!

Very Cool~
    That's pretty much the jist of the matter. If it functions like Unix proper, it can be classified as "Unix-like".

As for Minix and Linux being "independent" systems: no system exists in a vacuum. Linus Torvalds had (has) many talks with Andrew Tanenbaum on USENET comp.os mailing lists. The codebase is where those similarities begin and end.
    Linux for Absolute Geniuses: Real Issues. Real Solutions.
    HP Pavilion dv8210us. Since 9.10, no longer such a struggle. Still worth it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Originally, yes, and it still is used as such, though in theory MINIX3 was supposed to focus more on a true usability aspect. I haven't noticed much difference from the two on the user level. Other people's experiences may vary.
    I remember there being a project dedicated to KDE and GNOME ports to MINIX3 a couple years ago. I wonder where those went.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    I remember there being a project dedicated to KDE and GNOME ports to MINIX3 a couple years ago. I wonder where those went.
    Good question, as even TWM/X on MINIX3 has proven next to unusable in my tests.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Windows has used the Windows NT kernel since Windows NT was released.
    Not quite. The Windows 4.x kernel was in use through ME, which was released long after NT. NT was more a contemporary of Windows 95. 95, 95 Second Release, 98, 98SE, and ME were all running the Win4.x kernel series. NT itself was built upon OS/2 which in-turn was built upon QNX. NT kernels were used in 2k, XP, 2k3, and somewhat in Vista. Win7 uses a microkernel of some sort, which was running next to NT style kernel in Vista (hence making Vista's drivers usable in Win7). I am thinking the Windows 7 will be the basis of Windows iterations for possibly the next 10 years.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fistfullofroses View Post
    Not quite. The Windows 4.x kernel was in use through ME, which was released long after NT. NT was more a contemporary of Windows 95. 95, 95 Second Release, 98, 98SE, and ME were all running the Win4.x kernel series. NT itself was built upon OS/2 which in-turn was built upon QNX. NT kernels were used in 2k, XP, 2k3, and somewhat in Vista. Win7 uses a microkernel of some sort, which was running next to NT style kernel in Vista (hence making Vista's drivers usable in Win7). I am thinking the Windows 7 will be the basis of Windows iterations for possibly the next 10 years.
    Good that you added this information, I didn't want to respond as a non-Windows user

But I suspect the "built upon QNX" is not correct.
    Qnx was a closed source OS since years, and I've never read about any link between MS-Windows NT or OS/2 with Qnx.
    Perhaps you are confused it with VMS ? I've read that one well-known VMS developer moved to Microsoft and started working on NT.

See here for more information :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os/2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qnx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fistfullofroses View Post
    MINIX3, Fiwix, UNIX, BSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Linux-libre, RISCOS, GNU, OS X, Next, IRIX, Ultrix, Tru64, and Xenix are all consider Unix-like systems.
    I'm not so sure that this is correct. Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Mac OS X, etc, all pass the Single Unix Specification. They are even listed as Unix 03 compliant. (Full compliance) As such, they should be called Unix, not "Unix-like." Ubuntu, Fedora, the *BSDs, are all "Unix-like."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast