Thread: IBM Thinkpad X40 - Hardy - Screen brightness problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

IBM Thinkpad X40 - Hardy - Screen brightness problem

Dear all

I have recently upgraded my ubuntu installation to Hardy 8.04.

Since the upgrade, I have had a problem with the screen brightness when running on battery power.

Although I can manually dim the screen, after a few minutes, and usually triggered by a keypress or mouse move, the screen returns to full brightness.

I have ticked "Reduce backlight brightness" in System - Preferences - Power Management, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Previously I was able to set a specific brightness level for battery and AC power, and these settings "stuck" properly. Since the upgrade I no longer have these options, and dimming the screen manually does not "stick".

I would be very grateful for any help.

Cheers

Alastair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: IBM Thinkpad X40 - Hardy - Screen brightness problem

I would be very grateful for any help with this problem.

Cheers

Alastair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you can specify the maximum brightness when on AC or Battery. After that when the screen comes off the dimmed state, it should only go to the max level specified.

Mind you, this has not worked consistently for me either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Many thanks for the reply.

I have tried to adjust what settings I can find in the configuration editor, although some are listed as "schema" and I don't know how to change those.

But none of the changes I've made have solved the problem!

It used to work perfectly in the previous version. In the Power Management preferences screen I was able to set different brightness levels for AC and battery, and it worked every time.

Unfortunately, since upgrading to Hardy I no longer have these options available, and the brightness changes "randomly" as described in my original post.

Thanks again for replying.

Cheers

Alastair

Beans

I have the same problem. Also resume from suspended takes forever, where it took a few seconds on Gutsy.

I reckon I'll downgrade to Gutsy again, it is supported for a long time to come.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Same Problem here on hardy 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP i686 !!! Screen goes back to full brightness. Running XFCE at the moment and there's no control panel gui to this. I was thinking about installing kde 3.5 because of this.

Any solutions yet? Downgrading is not an option. Neither is upgrading (since it has worked correctly in the past). Help appreciated