View Poll Results: What editor do you use for Latex documents?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Emacs

29 22.83%
  • Gedit

25 19.69%
  • Kile

24 18.90%
  • LyX

19 14.96%
  • Texmaker

22 17.32%
  • Vi(m)

22 17.32%
  • Winefish

2 1.57%
  • Other (please explain)

6 4.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What editor do you use for LaTeX documents?

Beans

Question What editor do you use for LaTeX documents?

I'm slowly migrating from OpenOffice to Latex for most of the writing I do. I still have a few projects I started in OpenOffice that would take way to long to migrate to Latex (yes, I know of the OpenOffice export to Latex feature), but every new project I start is in Latex. So far I really like it. It takes a while to master it, but I've got the basics down, and there is good documentation available.

So far I have been using Gedit with the Latex plugin. LyX is not at all what I want; Kile looks promising, but more involved than Gedit.

There are a wide variety of Latex editors for GNU/Linux. Which is your favourite? Please discuss the merits (and demerits) of your choice.

If you voted for more than one, please explain.
    Last edited by urukrama; January 31st, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What editor do you use for LaTeX documents?

I find that the LyX GUI with a simple template is enough for me.

Only really use it for my CV at the moment though.

Looked at it originally because I'm looking to return to academia, and thought it would be useful to learn how to use it for my potential future thesis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For most of my work, I use Lyx to create mathematical documents. Most journal publishers want the LaTex file. As Lyx stores in its own format, I export to LaTex and use Kile or Texmaker to do any final edits.

Beans

I'm the same as ravenon.

GVim.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Emacs with auctex for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

texmaker all the way

edit:

i have also found a new project called texworks, which will try to become something like texshop on mac

i have installed it and found it quite good for my purposes, to install it follow these instructions from their website... i added texlive as i didn't have pdflatex installed on my debian setup:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libpoppler-qt4-dev libhunspell-dev libdbus-1-dev texlive
    $ svn checkout http://texworks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ texworks-read-only
    $ cd texworks-read-only
    $ qmake-qt4
    $ make
    $ ./texworks

for more info WATCH this great video on the project - http://www.river-valley.tv/conferenc...3-Jonathan_Kew
    Last edited by meborc; February 1st, 2009 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    There are a wide variety of Latex editors for GNU/Linux. Which is your favourite? Please discuss the merits (and demerits) of your choice.
    GVim & Vim-LaTeX.

Vim-LaTeX provides a bunch of nice macros that reduce the amount of typing: simple stuff like typing `a to get \alpha, and more complex things like typing figure and pressing F5 in order to obtain
    Code:
    \begin{figure}[<+htpb+>]
    	\begin{center}
    		\includegraphics{<+file+>}
    	\end{center}
    	\caption{<+caption text+>}
    	\label{fig:<+label+>}
    \end{figure}<++>
    (Control+J selects the next <+ +>-bit allowing you to quickly insert the parts of a figure environment that change from one figure to another.)

Forward and backwards-search are also handy: Control+click a paragraph or a formula in xdvi to find the corresponding location in the tex-file. The same thing works also in the reverse direction. In addition to these, there are a lot of other useful tools in Vim-LaTeX.

The downside of Vim is that some people find it difficult to learn. Nevertheless, it is a powerful editor when you learn to use it, and in conjuction with Vim-LaTeX, it really is worth the effort. (In fact, the 'effort' is not necessarily so large. I found it quite easy to switch from Gedit and Emacs to GVim.)

Beans

I use JED+latex4jed. It is similar to Emacs+AUCTeX (syntax highlighting, shortcuts to compile, etc) but JED is far lighter than Emacs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not a GNU/Linux expert yet, and unfortunately I'm not used to the commands of vim nor emacs, but I'm aware that, when you know them, they are powerful tools.

Having said that, I'm now using Texmaker (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/), after using Kile for a while. One of the main reasons for the change was that Texmaker has more than 300 mathematical symbols can be inserted in just one click, and that was a feature that I really missed in Kile.

Lyx can be a good choice for those starting with Latex, but after knowing some Latex commands, I'm feel more comfortable with Texmaker.
    Linux user #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast