Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1M$ question about broadcast messages

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 1M$ question about broadcast messages

Ok, version 1.0 is now available from my Launchpad PPA. Binary packages are available for Hardy and Intrepid.

To install it add a line like:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/heindsight/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
    to /etc/apt/sources.list (of course if you're running Intrepid you should change the hardy above to intrepid)

Next, (if you trust me and want avoid getting warnings about downloading from an untrusted source), do
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com  20E24BBCE26A342F499DB38FF75FF3CAFCA8EEF0
    Now you can install writed using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install writed
    Now, you can run writed by just using the command:
    Code:
    writed
    It will immediately go into the background, so you can use the command
    Code:
    w
    to make sure it is actually running. You should see a line similar to:
    Code:
    heindsig pts/4    :0.0             22:18   23:13m  0.14s  0.14s writed
    Now you should be able to send yourself messages using write or wall, for example according to the w output above, I have writed running on /dev/pts/4 so I can send myself a message using
    Code:
    write heindsight pts/4
    Last edited by heindsight; February 13th, 2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Updated instructions, packaging problem has been fixed...

Beans
    Hidden!

I should mention, for now the original source code for this release can be downloaded from:
    https://launchpad.net/~heindsight/+a....0.orig.tar.gz

I'll be putting the latest source up somewhere soon. Will post an update when I do. I hope to bring out an improved version soon with features such as logging and a config file allowing you to customize things like where on your screen messages appear and how long they stay on screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you so very much! i will let you know as soon as i try that! ^^

Beans

heind,

It works great. Thanks for the effort. No problems installing or running here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hey! your software is great, but unfortunately the notification deamon is changed in gnome since 9.04 and now it doesn't seem to work anymore.
    Do you have any idea / plan on how to make it compatible with the new one?

Of course you already did a great job and it is enough if you just give me a hint

Thank you very much

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sblanzio View Post
    hey! your software is great, but unfortunately the notification deamon is changed in gnome since 9.04 and now it doesn't seem to work anymore.
    Do you have any idea / plan on how to make it compatible with the new one?

Of course you already did a great job and it is enough if you just give me a hint

Thank you very much
    Hi, thank you for pointing this out. I'm still using 8.04 and I have no intention of upgrading any time soon. As soon as I have a chance, I'll get 9.04 running on a VM and see if I can fix it.

I'll try to get to it in the next week. I started a new job recently, so unfortunately I don't have nearly as much time as before to work on this. I would appreciate it if you could email me a more detailed description of the problem...

If you want to try to fix it yourself, I'd suggest looking at the source (especialy src/notifier.[ch] - that's where you'll find the code responsible for setting up and closing down the DBUS connection and creating and sending messages to the notification daemon) and in the changelogs for the notification daemon to see what changes have been made that may have broken things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12