Thread: Slackware Boot Tweaks

Beans

[Solved] Slackware Boot Tweaks

Does anybody know any tweaks on Slackware that they use to make it boot quicker. I've installed it, customised the kernel and updated it, now I'd like to know it can be made to boot faster. Also is it possible to add a splash screen because the machine I've installed it on isn't just used by me and it would be nice to have a boot splash screen.
    Last edited by Vince4Amy; February 4th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Re: Slackware Boot Tweaks

Can't say I've never really had the need to watch my machines start up often enough to let it bother me. Once after the first installation, and after compiling a new kernel. I like the scrolling text. It tells other people THIS IS NOT A TOY

You can patch the kernel for a splash screen if you want. Google should yield a few thousands links. Try Slackware bootsplash, Slackware kernel splash ..... something along those lines.

How long is it taking your machine to boot? I compiled a new kernel 4 or 5 days ago, and I know it took 25 seconds or less from post to log in prompt. Try to chmod -x any services in /etc/rc.d/ your not using (pcmcia? wireless? ssh? ntp? bluetooth? ...) If you know what you're doing, you can edit rc.M as well to background, or completely remove some items. How often do you install new fonts? new GTK themes/icons? Those tasks are handled in rc.M as well.

Try asking some questions at Linuxquestions.org, which is where most of the slackers hang out.
    Last edited by disturbed1; February 2nd, 2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Linux user #196692 AMD x4 620 Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H 7gig DDR2 nVidia GT220
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Beans

How long is it taking your machine to boot? I compiled a new kernel 4 or 5 days ago, and I know it took 25 seconds or less from post to log in prompt. Try to chmod -x any services in /etc/rc.d/ your not using (pcmcia? wireless? ssh? ntp? bluetooth? ...) If you know what you're doing, you can edit rc.M as well to background, or completely remove some items. How often do you install new fonts? new GTK themes/icons? Those tasks are handled in rc.M as well.
    Oh of course, I completely ignored editing rc.M things are a lot better now, thanks for the heads up. Manually Marked as Solved.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you guys know how to disable the BIOS data check at boot? It takes about 30 seconds to go through and is very annoying.

Also, is it safe to just comment things out of rc.M?

Not sure about the bios check. I'd imagine you would have to recompile the kernel if you're using the huge.smp or generic.smp to take some of the built in things out. These are kitchen sink kernels so that 99.999% of the hardware out there will get you in effectively enough to compile your own.

About rc.M if you have to ask if you should, don't
    Linux user #196692 AMD x4 620 Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H 7gig DDR2 nVidia GT220
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.