Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu for sale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Ubuntu for sale

Whats the prognosis that Ubuntu remains free and downloadable for years to come? Does anybody remember how easy MS OSs and Programs were to copy in the bad old days, really not that long ago.

Yes this is an inflammatory post, but meant to make people think. I haven't checked the legalese on ultimate permissions, rights and duties, because I'm not a lawyer and I wouldn't understand it. But, I am cynical enough to think that whomever ultimately owns Ubuntu could walk away with a mountain if enough people commit to it. A la MS.

In the retail world they call it 'bait and switch' in the drug world they call it getting a sucker hooked on junk. Give it to them for free and then make them pay.

Sorry folks but I am old enough to be that cynical. I love Ubuntu, I'm technical enough but trying RedHat for many years left me wanting a real Desktop, now Ubuntu is here with a nice Desktop and UNIX behind it. I love it and I'm using it, but I don't trust it.
    Last edited by mcloser; January 31st, 2009 at 07:10 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu for sale

The GPL prohibits the selling unless the source is released. So, unless they want to go the way of redhat (basically only good for support, as a free version is available), it won't happen.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mcloser View Post
    Whats the prognosis that Ubuntu remains free and downloadable for years to come? Does anybody remember how easy MS OSs and Programs were to copy in the bad old days, really not that long ago.

Yes this is an inflammatory post, but meant to make people think. I haven't checked the legalese on ultimate permissions, rights and duties, because I'm not a lawyer and I wouldn't understand it. But, I am cynical enough to think that whomever ultimately owns Ubuntu could walk away with a mountain if enough people commit to it. A la MS.

In the retail world they call it 'bait and switch' in the drug world they call it getting a sucker hooked on junk. Give it to them for free and them make them pay.

Sorry folks but I am old enough to be that cynical. I love Ubuntu, I'm technical enough but trying RedHat for many years left me wanting a real Desktop, now Ubuntu is here with a nice Desktop and UNIX behind it. I love it and I'm using it, but I don't trust it.
    Ubuntu will stay free. I've been with Ubuntu (on and off) since 6.10 and there isn't even a hint that they would charge for it.

It would be complete suicide for Canonical to charge for Ubuntu. You can be sure that Ubuntu will always remain free
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

There are a number of reasons they would not do this. The only way they could really do something like this is if Canonical put some proprietary "killer app" in Ubuntu that only came with the pay version. Otherwise, the GPL would ensure that a free spinoff would be available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Then with the reassurance of Ubuntu users of long duration such as the responders above, I feel more confidant that we can count on Ubuntu.

In my daily, I work heavy corporate and I don't see much from places that will continue to do what Canonical does without trying for the grab. Guess my own utopian ideology is being infected by my environment.

the only reason that I would ask such a question to begin with is that I am falling in love with Ubuntu, I love it and I love what the people involved with it are about. not since the late 80s OS/2 have I been so happy with using my computer.

Thanks to the responders, I will do my best to help where I can.
    Last edited by mcloser; January 31st, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: more responders !

Beans

Well Ubuntu could go the mandriva route, offer a free as in freedom version (mandriva free), a free as in beer version (Mandriva one) and a retail version (powerpack) if they wanted to.
    Would not be against the GPL but still make money.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mcloser View Post
    Here is the catch that makes the free software ecosystem so awesome: No one entity owns Ubuntu or ever will. (Same with all the individual projects it mirrors). There are contributions from everywhere, including groups that conventional businesses would label competitors. Heck, our version of the sudo program is sponsored by DARPA and the USAF. It gets used by governments around the world.
    Suffice it to say, this is completely against the status quo. It takes some getting used to, but it all makes sense in the end.

The ecosystem is largely made up of small businesses and individuals delivering support, advice and code for little chunks of the Linux audience. Indeed, support also equates to releasing a super-stable distro like Red Hat. That really comes down to what your priorities are.

Products are often released under the GPL or LGPL license, or a license following the same general philosophies (like MPL, Creative Commons or BSD), all in the same spirit of cooperation. Sometimes because a license demands it, sometimes by mere convention / good manners, but most often because it Actually Makes Sense.

It all adds up into a fine purée.

One key thing to take away is that the free software world is more building an environment in which to operate comfortably, and the necessary "making a living" part can grow on top instead of growing hard roots inside of the platform upon which everyone relies. It's about cooperating because it makes life easier for the individual people behind it.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; January 31st, 2009 at 07:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

one of Ubuntu's promise is that it would always be free of charge. if Ubuntu reneged on this promise and go commercial. Then it would lose the trust of the community its biggest asset. ask OpenSuse you never under estimate the power of the community because what the community giveth it can also taketh.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post

One key thing to take away is that the free software world is more building an environment in which to operate comfortably, and the necessary "making a living" part can grow on top instead of rooting inside of the platform upon which everyone relies.
    yes, that follows my thinking very much. I believe that everyone should be working themselves out of a job (automation etc.) so they can go onto other ( better ) things.

I really like the idea of adding the service on top of the technical, it's what I do anyway.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Played with my post a bit. Now it's perfect
    In fact, because my explanation is so awesome, I demand that this thread NOT be dumped in recurring discussions!

I added a link to The Cathedral and the Bazaar, which I think does a great job examining the major thing. There's a nice MP3 of Eric's talk about it.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; January 31st, 2009 at 07:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast