Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally I installed the nVidia driver in Ubuntu

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Finally I installed the nVidia driver in Ubuntu

Hi,

As many of you I also had big problems installing the nVidia driver in Ubuntu, I use 8.0.4.2 but this might (!!) also work with other versions of Ubuntu.
    I tried it all:
    several threads in this forum saying use CTRL-ALT-F1, shut down the X server, install the driver and start the xserver
    I used Envyng (also from outside the graphical desktop) to get it done, but nothing worked. The best I could get was a 800*600 display mode, sometimes 640*480 and most of the time a screen which was divided into two parts.
    On the top was a green area, below it a black area and then the desktop would start. Horizontally this desktop was divided into two areas again, making the left side of the desktop appear in the middle of the monitor. Moving the mouse to the right side and of the screen, it would appear back on screen on the left side, where the right side of the desktop was placed. It was totally out of sync.

I went to the nVidia site and found this:

Goto: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    Choose the right type, series and product and click on search
    It will come back with the latest stable version 180.22 (Jan.30)
    Step 1: Read the license
    Step 2: Download the file (and remember where you put it)
    Step 3: Now it gets interesting. Before trying to install the driver read and check the following info which I found in a forum-thread on the nvidia site:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

Debian GNU/Linux or [K]Ubuntu with Xorg 7.x

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
    * the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
    * the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
    * the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist
    color=blue]I used Synaptic to uninstall all I could find with the name nvidia and glx in it with the option: Mark for complete removal.[/color]

If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

What they say is: add the above line into the file /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules

Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:

/lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

Please note: unfortunately, it has become difficult to keep track of the pre-/post-installation steps required for [K]Ubuntu, and the above instructions may be incomplete. If in doubt, it is recommended that you use your distributor's NVIDIA Linux graphics driver packages, exclusively.
    If you require further assistance after following the instructions above, please see:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678.

Step 4: CTRL-ALT-F1
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    password
    cd /folder where nvidia driver is stored/
    sh NV [TAB] #(name will be completed when TAB is pressed)
    Accept the license.
    I got a message (as always) that I do not have a precompiled kernel module available and if it is okay to get it from the nvidia website. Answer yes. But, there is no module available there so it will build a new one in your computer.
    Install the 32-bit libraries also and let the program change your xorg.conf file
    The driver is now installed.
    Start your Xserver by:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Congratulations. You now have the latest stable version of the nVidia driver installed. It worked for me, while nothing else worked so it could also work for you.

Beans

Re: Finally I installed the nVidia driver in Ubuntu

Thank you for the fast reply!!
    That was the tut i was trying out yesterday,but it did still not work.
    everything was working until the last part installing the drivers then i get "can't open drivers"I think i have read about umbutu server and umbutu desktop was using diffrent kernels.Maybe this is my problem that i first installed umbutu server and after i installed desktop?The main problem is really when i try to install the drivers i downloaded i allways get can't open file.I open it like this sudo sh and then the file name am i doing something wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks a lot, it worked for me.
    Everything is fine as far as I can see. But I have a question, should we NOT trust ubuntu update manager anymore? And another thing; what would happen to me without "linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-23"? Should I install it again?
    Last edited by Shaya; February 3rd, 2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Add another question

Beans

Regular updates yesterday broke my install; this fixed it.

Good find in the readme, but like Shaya, that also makes me wonder what's going on with the update manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Shaya View Post
    Thanks a lot, it worked for me.
    Everything is fine as far as I can see. But I have a question, should we NOT trust ubuntu update manager anymore? And another thing; what would happen to me without "linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-23"? Should I install it again?
    The linux restricted modules are components not open source,and in this case I think uninstalling them you uninstall a previous version of the Nvidia drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by carml View Post
    The linux restricted modules are components not open source,and in this case I think uninstalling them you uninstall a previous version of the Nvidia drivers.
    So I guess it won't cause problem. Thanks Carml.
    I've just find out I don't have anything in my "Hardware Drivers" ! And I have a problem; when I hover through items in "System" menu (or any other long menu), items keep getting highlighted and keep being highlighted until I close menu by click in one the items or on the desktop!
    Is there any relation among this problem and new upgrade, no Hardware Drives, and uninstalling linux restricted modules?

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shaya View Post
    So I guess it won't cause problem. Thanks Carml.
    I've just find out I don't have anything in my "Hardware Drivers" ! And I have a problem; when I hover through items in "System" menu (or any other long menu), items keep getting highlighted and keep being highlighted until I close menu by click in one the items or on the desktop!
    Is there any relation among this problem and new upgrade, no Hardware Drives, and uninstalling linux restricted modules?
    Yes, I did have the same problem at first. But it disappeared "by itself", cause I didn't do anything (as far as I know of) to make it go away. I hope it will be the same for you.
    I also have no listing in the hardware drivers list, but since it all runs I don't mind. I will not start tinkering again with the risk that the system falls apart (again).
    I'm happy with the way it is, although I must say that I think it is strange the way nVidia wants us to update their driver.

What is installing a driver? Isn't it simply write new files to a certain folder, after having thrown away the old ones, adjusting some text files with new info and a reboot? Or is that too simple?
    Last edited by DeMus; February 3rd, 2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: small mistake corrected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi DeMus, Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going to try your method and see if it fixes my problem. Running restricted drivers only, I have an embedded nVidia GF6150 w/mobo. Desktop looks fine, running 1900x1200, but it runs slow and runs poorly upon changing the System->Apperance->Visual_Effects beyond normal. If I choose other options, the graphics slows to a crawl, then I struggle to get it back to 'normal'. In normal mode, if I try Control-Wheel to either increase or decrease font size in a browser window, it can take 5-7 seconds to respond. Too slow. These symptoms suggest a problem, like this thread, I've read in other threads a way to install the nVidia drivers from nVidia, so I think you might be on the right track. I'll advise you and the others here of my results.
    Last edited by skyman11; February 3rd, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by DeMus View Post
    Yes, I did have the same problem at first. But it disappeared "by itself", cause I didn't do anything (as far as I know of) to make it go away. I hope it will be the same for you.
    Maybe it's a bug in Compiz Fusion, because I tried anything I knew to solve the problem and finally I got the answer with shutting down the Compiz Fusion completely!
    I'm gonna test all effects and components separately to find out which of them is causing the problem! I hope I can, 'cause I'm really addicted to changing workstations by clicking on the left/right edge of the monitor!

Beans

Hey,

Thx for this post. Everything worked fine but I still only get 640x480 res max. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by WaLshy11; February 5th, 2009 at 03:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast