Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is bsd better than linux?

Beans

is bsd better than linux?

i'm just wondering seeing how i've never used bsd if it's better than linux

Beans

Re: is bsd better than linux?

No operating system is universally "better" than another. They all have their pros and cons.

With that said, I do have a certain passion for BSD systems. My favorite is NetBSD, which is lightweight and simple. FreeBSD is also very solid. DesktopBSD is FreeBSD with a KDE graphical system by default.

BSD requires a somewhat different mindset. The greatest things about BSD lie in stability, security, and systems administration, not flash or bling. Flash is always a challenge (version 7 is perfect through Linux emulation, 9 is thready).

If you are in the mood for something new, trying a BSD system can be very rewarding. If you post more about what you want, I can recommend one.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

The "Best" OS is subjective. "Use what works for you".

Beans

Like cardinals_fan said there's pros and cons for both so it really just comes down to personal preference. Ask me and I'd say my favorite operating system is NetBSD, ask another random person and hell it might even be OS X for them .

Unfortunately, I think the biggest problem is that most users don't understand *BSD so either they dismiss it or when they try it out they expect it to be like Linux.

Here's a nice comparison that focuses more on the functional differences instead of why you should use one over the other
    http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd...bsd4linux1.php

Beans
    Hidden!

Why don't you try and find out?

That said, I still need to try *BSD. I haven't been interested in trying any new distros/OS's yet though.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

In servers BSD is best, but for the average user maybe linux is better.
    If you use a lot of flash sites I would not suggest using BSD though.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

cool i think i'll at least give it a shot in virtualbox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Virtualbox has horrible support for *BSD ,particulary NetBSD. Try using vmware server instead, KVM, or Qemu (although I've been mixed reports on using qemu with openbsd in a vm)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Virtualbox is horrid with BSD (and anything else, but that part is opinion). Qemu works very well with all of them except OpenBSD, and I think even that works to some extent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"Better", as has already been stated, is a matter of personal opinion.

I enjoy the BSD systems, and personally prefer FreeBSD, as you can see from my signature.

As with Linux distributions, the BSDs vary in capability and philosophy regarding development goals. OpenBSD focuses on security, NetBSD on portability, and FreeBSD performance and stability. Of course each distribution has other goals, as well, but these seem to be the most mentioned regarding each BSD.

NetBSD is been proven to run on a toaster, well, technically and ARM, but it's an ARM running a toaster.

The OpenBSD group has developed quite a bit of software that "advanced" users and security-minded folk know and love, such as OpenSSH, bcrypt, and pf - Google them if you want to learn more.

FreeBSD powers many sensitive, high volume servers in the world. At one time, and possibly still, Yahoo, MP3.com, and Hotmail (Yes, a Microsoft product), were run on FreeBSD. It also was part of the base for Darwin, which in turn is the base for Apple's OS X.

Reading material and more:

FreeBSD - - -

OPENBSD - - -

NETBSD - - -

Cheers!
    Last edited by Sorivenul; January 30th, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast