Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is bsd better than linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: is bsd better than linux?

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    You don't understand the question if you see a flame war here. It's obvious on the other hand already since you seem to support the BSD side of things. The OP asked a question and I answered it.
    1.) The original question is subjective, as is the matter of licensing preferences.
    2.) Don't assume I support one side. I support choice. I also support comprehensive education. If somebody wants to use the GPL, that's fine. If somebody wants to use the BSD license, that's fine. Let them learn about both.
    3.) I don't see how restricting the subjective matter of OS preference to another subjective matter like licensing answers any question.

Also, from the GNU website, see the Licensing Compatibility List. The 3-clause BSD license and 2-clause BSD license (FreeBSD license) are GPL-compatible.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

The original question has very much to do with licenses. BSD uses a "weaker" free software license than Linux, which uses the "strong" GNU GPL copyleft free sotware license. Those two are incompatible, thus you must choose one. I much prefer the GNU GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-copyleft.html
    Why exactly do you say that they are incompatible? I run lots of GPL software on my NetBSD system, and lots of BSD-licensed software on my SliTaz system.

Beans

@ soverinul Ok, you got me confused now. Are you a lawyer by any chance? I mean, how can a copyleft license be compatible with a non-copyleft license? Doesn't that make copyleft moot?

@cardinals_fan See the Licensing Compatibility List link soverinul posted above.

I don't know about you guys but freedom is the reason that convinced me to start using free software. No, this is not an insult, it's just a statement.
    Last edited by glotz; February 1st, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

@ soverinul Ok, you got me confused now. Are you a lawyer by any chance? I mean, how can a copyleft license be compatible with a non-copyleft license? Doesn't that make copyleft moot?
    I can't speak to the legalese in the link, but there is a difference between compatible use and compatible development. I can use GPL'd software on BSD system without having it be GPL-licensed, and vice-versa. What I can't do is modify the GPL code and distribute it as BSD-licensed.
    I don't know about you guys but freedom is the reason that convinced me to start using free software. No, this is not an insult, it's just a statement.
    I want to have the source available. That's all I need.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not a lawyer; I enjoy reading.

Freedom is a large part of what convinced me to join this world as well. Definitions of this term may vary.

Peace.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Thus, the BSD Linux emulation layer.
    Is it correct that that layer still does not allow all Linux kernel based software to run on it. Or at least run on it as well as it runs on Linux?

I am asking the question out of ignorance. I know that I could not get Flash, Cedega & Wine to work on PC-BSD a couple of years ago. Things have very likely changed since then. Hopefully?

Beans

When referring to freedom in a software sense, I can almost assure you that OpenBSD is much more free than whatever linux distro you are currently using.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul
    For the ones also puzzled by my question and not so keen to read, here's the relevant passage. To make a long story short, the answer is one way compatibility.

Quote: Code licensed under a permissive free software licence, such as the BSD licence, can be incorporated into copylefted (e.g. GPL'd) projects. Such code is thus "GPL-compatible". There is no need to securing the consent of the original authors. In contrast, code under the GPL cannot be relicensed under the BSD licence without securing the consent of all copyright holders. Thus the two licences are compatible, but the combination as a whole must be distributed under the terms of the GPL, not the permissive licence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123