Thread: Encrypted dualbooting Linux distros

Beans

Encrypted dualbooting Linux distros

Hi. I am trying to differentiate which linux distro is best before doing a full linux installation:

1. Has anybody have done a dualbooting of 2 or more linux distros on an encrypted hd maybe in the principles of Uwe Herman's setup: http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/towar...1-base-system? Would that be possible? If it does work, could you share your basic configuration?

2. Or, Has anybody have done an encrypted base installation under a grsecurity-patched kernel? An Ubuntu or other linux distro dualbooting. Is it doable considering the bugs and security risks?

3. If I am going to use the Desktop edition, it would be an easy task, right? But, what if I am going to use the Server edition, do I have to think which distro that I am going to use before setting up the base installation? Does it have any compatibility issues?
    Last edited by unf4b1x; January 29th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Encrypted dualbooting Linux distros

what's so special about herman's setup?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    what's so special about herman's setup?
    I don't know anything much about Uwe Herman's setup moreso than you, only that he was included as a resource on "How to perform a hardened installation:" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=uwe+hermann which was started by bodhi.zazen on a thread regarding Ubuntu Security. Although, I've tried his setup but I failed and I could not provide you with any screencaps regarding that failed experimentation of mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

You could dual boot encrypted OSs. There are basically two ways that popped into my head imediately:

1) Two LUKS volumes with the /boot of each unencrypted (I have not idea if they can be combined).

2) Use a hardware encrypted drive. Then everything will be encrypted and you can have all the OSs and whatnot that you want! I think that Hardware encrypted SSD has come out. But that is just expensive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tubes6al4v View Post
    You could dual boot encrypted OSs. There are basically two ways that popped into my head imediately:

1) Two LUKS volumes with the /boot of each unencrypted (I have not idea if they can be combined).

2) Use a hardware encrypted drive. Then everything will be encrypted and you can have all the OSs and whatnot that you want! I think that Hardware encrypted SSD has come out. But that is just expensive.
    ...since I am still noob on Ubuntu Linux many great features, reading these forums has become a hobby of mine and I try to just ask if the problems I have encountered are different from others. It seems that, although there are so many questions asked in the forum, some remain unanswered still. I am just thankful that people have provided suggestions/replies to threads I have posted.

Thank you for your suggestions. I might have to need more info on those two or maybe you could provide a website for its HowToGuide.