For anyone who has a Canon i550 or similar.
Steps to get your printer up and running...and printing nicely.
1. Get the correct drivers from here: ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
(they cover i550, i560, i850,i860,i950, i990)
AND the corresponding cups driver:
2. use alien to convert the rpms to debs (apt-get install alien if you dont have it)
$ sudo alien <rpm package>
3. $dpkg -i bjfilterpixusXXXi_X.X-X.i386.deb
$dpkg -i bjfiltercups-X.X-X.i386.deb
4. $apt-get install libtiff3g
$apt-get install libpng2
5. Then use the gnome gui for adding a new printer
System > System Settings > Printing
And you will now see your new driver in the list as PIXUS XXXi verX.X
6. And thats it, happy high quality printing from your canon.
Well I just tried this on my laptop with Feisty and the drivers still work fine.
Step 4 has to be changed to libtiff4 and libpng3 but other than that, everything should work.