Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Soft Reset Failed (Device Not Ready) error upon installing Ubuntu, Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Soft Reset Failed (Device Not Ready) error upon installing Ubuntu, Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by richm8028 View Post
    Is it because i burnt it as tao instead of dao?
    No, this has nothing to do with the how you burned the CD.
    It is solely an issue with the hardware on the motherboard--which, apparently doesn't support something called the "SATA Port Multiplier" option. That, in turn, is where the suggestion to turn off the "CONFIG_SATA_PMP" setting in the kernel comes from.

I perfectly used to know how to compile a custom 2.4 kernel under Slackware, but I haven't compiled my own kernel ever since Linux moved to 2.6 (although the procedure hasn't really changed that much). There are special instructions for Debian and its derivatives (like Ubuntu), to ensure that your custom kernel gets registered into the "deb" package management system. I have the documentation available, and I may give it a try one of these days; if I do, then it is my intention to document it here as well.

One caveat: If you do compile your own kernel, then you will have to redo this whenever the kernel gets updated. (Any kernel update will install the new kernel with its default configuration, as provided by the distribution that you are using.)

Beans

Re: Soft Reset Failed (Device Not Ready) error upon installing Ubuntu, Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by luvr View Post
    One caveat: If you do compile your own kernel, then you will have to redo this whenever the kernel gets updated. (Any kernel update will install the new kernel with its default configuration, as provided by the distribution that you are using.)
    That is not entirely true.
    The update manager will not interfere with a compiled kernel.

A good resource for compiling kernels in ubuntu is here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311158
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

I get the same error message(s) when I run 9.04 from the harddrive. I had no problem with the install. Here is a section of dmesg:

[ 2.632027] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
    [ 2.632068] ata1: failed due to HW bug, retry pmp=0
    [ 2.796031] ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
    [ 2.796905] ata1.00: ATA-8: Hitachi HTS543225L9SA00, FBEOC43C, max UDMA/133
    [ 2.796908] ata1.00: 488397168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
    [ 2.797983] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
    [ 3.116036] ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
    [ 3.600021] ata3: softreset failed (device not ready)
    [ 3.600059] ata3: failed due to HW bug, retry pmp=0
    [ 3.764033] ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
    [ 3.765417] ata3.00: ATAPI: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ880ES, 1.90, max UDMA/33
    [ 3.767082] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/33

I notice in dmesg that in the line following softreset failed (device not ready) is a "retry pmp=0" and following that is a line that appears to indicate that the retry with that parameter was successful and the boot is moving on without a problem. The same for ata3.

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
    ata1: failed due to HW bug, retry pmp=0
    ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)

I am a newbie to Linux.

Have I, possibly, correctly interpreted the log as to mean that the kernel encountered a problem, attempted a work around and was successful? I have noticed no problems with my machine though I have not run anything I would call extensive tests.

My system:

Ubuntu 9.04
    Kernel Linux 2.6.28-13-generic

Toshiba Satellite Laptop L355D-S7901
    Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72
    Vista Home Premium (SP1, 32-bit)
    RAM: 3 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
    250GB SATA Hitachi HTS54322 HDD
    ATI SB700/SB800 SATA controller (AHCI mode)
    Graphics Engine: ATI Radeon 3100

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by e2Xpi View Post
    Have I, possibly, correctly interpreted the log as to mean that the kernel encountered a problem, attempted a work around and was successful?
    Yes--that's absolutely correct.
    In fact, the "retry pmp=0" seems to confirm that the problem has to do with the Port Multiplier option, and that the retry without this setting was successful.

This makes me wonder: Instead of recompiling the kernel, would it be possible to specify a kernel option--perhaps "pmp=0" or some such--to prevent the kernel from trying this Port Multiplier feature?

Beans

Thanks, Luvr, for your help!

Regarding your suggestion, I tried tonight to find a boot option (to feed on the command line to the kernel when loading) and so far nothing.

I also noticed that even though I have the boot option 'quiet' specified, I found a documentation entry that states that 'quiet' will not suppress all output, just most. I'd give you a reference/location documentation entry for that but I have temporarily misplaced it.

For what I am doing, if I could at least suppress the error message (for now) I would be happy.

I am going to continue to look for a boot option that will have the effect of setting pmp=0. If/when I find one or any clues worth posting I will do so.

Thanks again for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I found the answer to this on another part of the forum. To clarify what has been happening, here is my experience:

Problem: Hardware is brand new (upgrade). 4GB RAM, GigaByte Motherboard with the SB700 southbridge and AMD 64 bit CPU. When I run virtualbox, IO increased beyond the critical point, and the disk thrashes away ad infinitum. The CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there. Dmesg reveals the dreaded softreset message repeated millions of times.

Solution (assume you have build tools installed):
    1. Download the kernel source that matches your running system. I used "sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.28".
    2. Open up an xterm and log in as root with "sudo su -".
    3. cd /usr/src
    4. tar -jxvf linux-source-2.6.28.tar.bz2
    5. cd linux-source-2.6.28 && make mrproper
    6. make oldconfig (copies your running kernel's kernel config file to the current directory as .config)
    7. vi .config (and stay in edit mode)
    8. /PMP (takes you to the line containing the line SATA_PMP=y)
    9. Go to the "y" and change it to "n" ("$" will get you to the end of the line, and "r n" while on "y" will change it to "n")
    10. :wq (saves then quits)
    11. make (this will take a while)
    12. make modules_install install
    13. mkinitramfs -o /boot/config-2.6.28.8 2.6.28.8 (mine came up as this version, yours may not. If you "ls /lib/modules" you will see the version listed - it will be the one ending in a number, not "generic" etc.)
    14. Edit grub to match the new kernel details (copy and edit the first one in the list).
    15. Reboot

I'm working from my own memory here, so may not be 100% (feedback welcome) but I did it on Friday night and the problem just went away after the reboot. Obviously you should make sure the new kernel boots with no problem. If it has problems, you then have a tremendous learning opportunity.

Mike Williams

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Red face Re: Soft Reset Failed (Device Not Ready) error upon installing Ubuntu, Please help!

I have the problem of trying to install 9.04, but while booting from the CD, I get the ata1 softreset failed message and my laptop hangs right there. I do not have another installation on a harddrive as I am running Gutsy(7.10) from an SD memory card at the moment and it installs without any problems. (done it about 9 times successfully before). Now support for 7.10 was stopped so I need to upgrade.
    I am using:
    LG LW20 Express laptop
    8GB SD drive
    1.5GB RAM
    1.7 Ghz Centrino cpu
    intel 915 gpu chipset

I tried installing Intrepid Ibex as well, but on boot, whether from the live cd or alternate cd installation I only got a white screen withno response whatsoever. Hitting alt+f2 and typing a command also did not work. I did try logging in before typing any commands, but as the screen remains white I can't give any response. Please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had the same problem. Kind of.

My setup:
    2 IDE HDD's
    1 SATA HDD
    2 IDE optical drives

I had 9.04 installed on an IDE drive, and all was well. I did get the soft reset message upon boot, but it quickly went away, and booting continued, and the OS and all devices worked properly.

Now, moving on, the IDE drive that had my OS on it failed. I replaced it with a new SATA drive.

Install went fine, but trying to boot, it gave the error, and dropped to a black screen. No busybox, just a black screen.

Now, for the fix:

AMI BIOS 2.61:
    Onchip SATA Channel: ENABLED
    Onchip SATA Type: Legacy IDE
    SATA IDE Combined Mode: DISABLED <---This is the key pice of the puzzle. I switched this last, and the problem went away.

Now, it boots, briefly displays the soft reset error, (once for each SATA drive), and commences booting, and all hardware works properly.

Original kernel upon install: 2.6.58-11
    After updating: 2.6.28-15

All still works as it should, with just the brief soft reset error at boot. No other issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face Re: Soft Reset Failed (Device Not Ready) error upon installing Ubuntu, Please help!

I am having a similar problem. Well, it was not really a problem at all until today.
    When I ran Ubuntu 8.04 on this PC I never had this problem.
    Then I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and it always gives me the message, 4 times, in the format
    [ x.xxxxxx] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

But today, it gave a whole load more similar errors and some new ones, such as
    [ x.xxxxxx] ata8: exception Emask ...{some other stuff, numbers mostly}
    [ x.xxxxxx] ata8: SError: {PHYRdyChg Linkseq DevExch}
    which occured a few times.
    Eventually it booted to the login screen, but most of my drives were not mounted.

I rebooted and now everything is okay again, but still with the usual 4 times error of softreset failed.

I have all SATA drives in my PC (although I used to have 2 IDE drives and so there is an IDE connector on the mobo), 5 internal SATA HDD, 1 internal SATA DVD-RW, 1 external SATA HDD using an eSata connection.

What are those strange errors after the softreset ones and what is the cause?
    There is a fine line between genius and insanity

Beans

I only gotten that message on earlier Ubuntu, my Kubntu 9.10 is fine, I think it was just something with SATA Drives.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast