Thread: Creating "trap" account with alarm shell

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Creating "trap" account with alarm shell

I'm in the process of securing my server (it runs Hardy), and as part of it, I came up with the idea to create one or two "trap" accounts that, when logged in to, would run a script that would notify me and block their IP address, before immediately logging them out.

How would I go about setting up such a system? Would I just write a script that would do what I needed and then exit with a status of 1, then set that as the trap accounts' shell? (And is it possible to see the IP that an SSHing person is using from inside a script?)
    Regards, PacSci
    Windows is to Linux as a straw house is to a brick house. The bricks are harder to get started with, but they're higher quality and won't crash as easily.
    Any quotes in the above post may have been edited for spelling and grammar.

Beans

Re: Creating "trap" account with alarm shell

Sounds kind of like a honeypot. Rather that waiting until they guess a correct password, I think using something like denyhosts or fail2ban would be more effective. Actually, I think you can configure fail2ban to ban hosts based on successful logins for a particular user. You can also filter based on login attempts on your trap account, even if the account doesn't exist. All ssh authentication attempts should get logged to /var/log/auth.log, successful or unsuccessful.