Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some dualboot help please?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Question some dualboot help please?

hi people, i've tried searching google and had a look here but i was wondering if anybody can give me an idiots guide to dualdoot,with ubuntu installed first as i want to reinstall xp pro in a 25GB partition to play dawn of war?

Many Thanks.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same."

John Wayne (May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: some dualboot help please?

No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Scroll down for Windows after Ubuntu. The guide does state that it's easier to do Windows first, so I don't know if you are going to find an idiot's guide for the hard way.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

cheers for the replys, think ive got it sorted now, many thanks.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same."

John Wayne (May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979)

Beans

Exclamation Re: some dualboot help please?

You Ubuntu users are going to hate me! Apologies in advance.

I tried out MythBuntu to set up a dedicated PC as a home media center on the advice of a colleague, but frankly I have no interest nor no time to learn a whole new OS - just to watch TV and DVDs.

SO - my question is this! How on earth do I stop my PC default booting to Ubuntu. I want it to default to XP, with the CHOICE of MythBuntu rather. Not the other way round - which it currently is.

ARRK

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arrk View Post
    You Ubuntu users are going to hate me! Apologies in advance.

I tried out MythBuntu to set up a dedicated PC as a home media center on the advice of a colleague, but frankly I have no interest nor no time to learn a whole new OS - just to watch TV and DVDs.

SO - my question is this! How on earth do I stop my PC default booting to Ubuntu. I want it to default to XP, with the CHOICE of MythBuntu rather. Not the other way round - which it currently is.

ARRK
    You edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. There is a line that reads default=x where x is a number representing a position in the boot menu. Here's an example from my Fedora system:
    Code:
    default=0
    timeout=30
    splashimage=(hd0,5)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title   Fedora (2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686)
    	root (hd0,5)
    	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686 ro root=UUID=b858b843-29a9-49e5-9979-b947caf9f039 rhgb quiet vga=792
    	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.img
    title   Fedora 10 (2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686)
    	root (hd0,5)
    	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 ro root=UUID=b858b843-29a9-49e5-9979-b947caf9f039 rhgb quiet vga=792
    	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686.img
    title   Ubuntu 8.10
    	root (hd0,4)
    	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=030304a5-9208-4927-afb7-90111b8da52c ro quiet splash vga=792
    	initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
    	quiet
    title   Windows Vista or Windows 7 Beta
    	rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    	chainloader +1
    Here, default=0 means that the first Fedora option will be the OS booted if I let the timer count down. If I changed it to default=3 then the Windows loader will be booted if I let the timer count down. If I wanted Ubuntu to be the default then I would change the line to default=2.
    Glenn