Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhacker View Post
    Fedora just haves X.org,Ubuntu has xvesa and xorg.
    Fedora haves very small and ugly drivers,it doesn`t support most video hardware,Ubuntu has most video drivers.
    Fedora uses rpm`s wich are ugly,Ubuntu has strong deb`s.
    fedora has ugly gui,Ubuntu has shiny orange
    Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.This makes it strong.
    Ubuntu has a lot of appsin installation,Fedora has just gnome-based apps like OpenSolaris.
    This is the funniest thing I have read this year.
    lolwut
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisfitI38 View Post
    This is the funniest thing I have read this year.
    lolwut
    Holy smoking monkey butts! I completely missed that, thanks for pointing it out

Code:
    su -c 'yum -y install OpenSolaris'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm trying out Fedora now. It's very nice. After three years of using Linux I finally get around to trying it. LOL. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. It's definitely faster than Ubuntu and openSuse.

Some helpful hints in this thread, Thanks guys.

Beans

when i installed it before in vm it didn't even ask where to install. if i try to dualboot with ubuntu it just won't take up the entire drive? and will it automatically get added to grub?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes throw rotten tomatoes at me , I am on Fedora 10. (hey it's still Linux, please let me chat here).
    Here's the scoop: It Rocks.
    Reliable, easy to set up. Compiz working but flickers with open gl (due to my ati card-best solution get nvidia card).
    I have Gnome desktop which I have customised no prob.
    I use it because I want to use red hat package manager mostly.
    Ubuntu 8.10 is awesome and I used that for ages but it didn't install with my ati graphics card. So to avoid advanced jiggery poker, like command line install and kernel parameter stuff I tried Fedora 10 and it was fine. The previous fedora wasn't all that though.
    To be honest I am surprised this Fedora is so good because if I was using nvidia graphics I would choose to use Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forums and support network are larger than that of Fedora I think (No offence Fedora).
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans

Reliable, easy to set up. Compiz working but flickers with open gl (due to my ati card-best solution get nvidia card)
    No don't get an nVidia card, the ATI Drivers have been smooth sailing for me on almost every distro.

Fedora uses a lot of experimental packages and as such installing the ATI Driver directly on it may not work all the time. However RPMFusion offer Fedora specific patches and in order to install them on Fedora 10 follow the Simple instructions in this thread, worked absolutely fine for me, and on an older system with an ATI Radeon 9550 I have, I never had to install any drivers at all! The open source ones worked great.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

I've found that Fedora is much more stable than Ubuntu considering it's using really cutting edge packages!, and also Fedora uses much less memory than Ubuntu so my system always results in being much snappier. Also when you add RPMFusion like in that guide you'll also have access to multimedia codecs should you need them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345