Thread: Run X application while in full CLI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Run X application while in full CLI?

I was wondering if it was possible to run a graphical application while in the full screen terminal. The reason being that while I enjoy the speediness of an all command line environment, I want to be able to have pictures in my browser. (Firefox instead of links)

So, is it possible to run a graphical X application while in an all CLI enviroment (X is not running, nor GDM)
    √ is /

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Run X application while in full CLI?

Quote Originally Posted by transmition View Post
    I was wondering if it was possible to run a graphical application while in the full screen terminal. The reason being that while I enjoy the speediness of an all command line environment, I want to be able to have pictures in my browser. (Firefox instead of links)

So, is it possible to run a graphical X application while in an all CLI enviroment (X is not running, nor GDM)
    I do not think that it is possible. Since most of them things require X to run.

Beans

Re: Run X application while in full CLI?

No, you can't do that.

But if you like the speediness, try installing a simple window manager (IceWM, Fluxbox and Openbox are probably the most popular). It is basically the absolute minimum X you can run.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2