View Poll Results: Should this forum name be changed to include other Unix derivatives?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, leave the name as is.

2 9.52%
  • Yes, change the name.

14 66.67%
  • I don't really care.

5 23.81%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rename this forum suggestion? BSD, Solaris, Unix

Beans

Re: Rename this forum suggestion? BSD, Solaris, Unix

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    I understand now.
    two, because of its own rabid userbase.
    Lol!

Beans

Although they need their own forums, I just don't think the discussions that relate to them happen often enough in the other OS talk for them to get one. I mean, this forum is dead as it is. We have like, what, 4 or 5 OpenSolaris users in this whole board?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    We have like, what, 4 or 5 OpenSolaris users in this whole board?
    You may be surprised. I don't know the exact numbers myself, though. However, having a more "central" location for talk relating to OpenSolaris and the others would keep the threads from being lost in the limbo of the main Other OS Talk sub-forum. This will, IMO, increase the accessibility of this information, and may help promote the systems we're talking about.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    Although they need their own forums, I just don't think the discussions that relate to them happen often enough in the other OS talk for them to get one. I mean, this forum is dead as it is. We have like, what, 4 or 5 OpenSolaris users in this whole board?
    I agree with Sorivenul, there definitely needs to be a central location for OpenSolaris related threads since there was a lot of initial interest in it but unfortunately most of the related threads have been buried. Besides if nothing comes out of it does it really matter too much? Half of the sub forums in Other OS Talk are dead anyways and it's not we would be adding another seperate sub forum to contribute to some of the inactivity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    You may be surprised. I don't know the exact numbers myself, though. However, having a more "central" location for talk relating to OpenSolaris and the others would keep the threads from being lost in the limbo of the main Other OS Talk sub-forum. This will, IMO, increase the accessibility of this information, and may help promote the systems we're talking about.
    to be completly honest I really Dont know how i feel about placing all unix and unix-likes other than linux under one forum name and that i i would not know how to vote yes or no to since i sort of like bsd having a forum for them self as well as i would love to have a solaris forums all for it self like i once asked and there was not enough to warrant a such forum. i am just of the opinion that each of these systems deserve a forum for them self or else maybe it just should be called just unix forums. but i would hate to steal the bsd users name and subforums for that cause.

but i am thinking about how about a poll on how many of us that in fact uses solaris or open solaris bsd mac and what ever ohter unix and unix like system there in fact is on the forums.
    the number of users i think would be a interesting enough tread to warrant a poll perhaps.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123