View Poll Results: Should this forum name be changed to include other Unix derivatives?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, leave the name as is.

2 9.52%
  • Yes, change the name.

14 66.67%
  • I don't really care.

5 23.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rename this forum suggestion? BSD, Solaris, Unix

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Rename this forum suggestion? BSD, Solaris, Unix

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sharitt View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to have a forum to serve as an umbrella for the various Uxix derivatives. IMHO, it wouldn't make sense to have different sub-forums for each unix os, but at least having the discussions grouped in one place would be a good idea.
    But in that case, we'd need to also remove all the subforums about Linux distros and Mac OS, since they are also UNIX-like. Maybe "Other UNIX and UNIX-like"?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    But in that case, we'd need to also remove all the subforums about Linux distros and Mac OS, since they are also UNIX-like. Maybe "Other UNIX and UNIX-like"?
    That sounds like the best solution proposed so far.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    I would say ignore Unix-like which is Linux etc. In the true sense they are not Unix. OSX might be Unix but it is so different from your average Unix that it presents it's own issues. When I say Unix I mean Unix derivatives (Based on real Unix), nothing else.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    OSX might be Unix but it is so different from your average Unix that it presents it's own issues. When I say Unix I mean Unix derivatives (Based on real Unix), nothing else.
    Actually, I think Mac OS X is the closest thing to real UNIX that you can get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_03...ac_OS_X_Server

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 on the Intel arch is certified pure Unix, while all other OS X versions are Unix-like. Even BSD isn't Unix certified.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Actually, I think Mac OS X is the closest thing to real UNIX that you can get. [TRIM...] Even BSD isn't Unix certified.
    Call it a Duck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Actually, OpenSolaris would be the closest thing you can get due to it's SVRX codebase.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    Actually, OpenSolaris would be the closest thing you can get due to it's SVRX codebase.
    True, I just didn't want this to turn into a "I think this system is more *NIX than that system". OS X, Solaris/OpenSolaris, and the BSDs are all some form of *NIX whether they qualify under the SUS or not.

Specifications for trademarks vs. Ancestry. This is a topic of its own, and one with decisions best left to those who would potentially rename this forum.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    True, I just didn't want this to turn into a "I think this system is more *NIX than that system". OS X, Solaris/OpenSolaris, and the BSDs are all some form of *NIX whether they qualify under the SUS or not.

Specifications for trademarks vs. Ancestry. This is a topic of its own, and one with decisions best left to those who would potentially rename this forum.
    What I was getting at was that, even though OS X is pure Unix, just like BSD and OpenSolaris, it's design is so much more difference on the interface that it still needs to be seperated.

I wasn't going for a "This is more *Nix than this one is", I was trying to indirectly show my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What I was getting at was that, even though OS X is pure Unix, just like BSD and OpenSolaris, it's design is so much more difference on the interface that it still needs to be seperated.

I wasn't going for a "This is more *Nix than this one is", I was trying to indirectly show my opinion.
    I understand now.

I agree that it needs to have its own forum. One, because of the reason you have stated; two, because of its own rabid userbase.

Beans

Thanks, that is what I meant with my previous post and assumed that is how people would interpret it. I know Leopard has UNIX 03 certification but thats not what I was thinking about when I made my post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast