Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pidgin won't connect to AIM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Pidgin won't connect to AIM

Hi everyone,

I havent used pidgin in a while but when i tried to sign on today it started fine but when it was connecting it lagged for a while and then eventually said that "username" disconnected could not connect to authentication server: connection timed out. now i have no idea what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to everyone in advance
    Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook: 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (1TB ext), 32 bit 1.67GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, Intel Chipset

Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 Dual Boot With Windows Vista SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Pidgin won't connect to AIM

maybe it's something with your connection

a weak connection to the internet causes this sometimes,or maybe the server is busy,or even unavailable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I dont think that i could be the connection, I am at about 80-100% connection and its on a high speed connection. I couldnt imagine the entire AIM server going down... Any other ideas?
    Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook: 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (1TB ext), 32 bit 1.67GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, Intel Chipset

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

try kopete for a change?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Does it happen every time, and are you having problems with any other net-aware programs?
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried kopete and thats not working either. same thing... it just says connecting... indefinately and then after a few minutes says "username" disconnected unknown error. Everything else that uses the internet works just fine. Its just AIM related things.
    Last edited by 11010110; January 27th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you say your on a wireless connection, does the same thing happen if your connected by wire?

Also are you running any other applications while trying to start AIM?
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is really strange... It works just fine under a wired connection but when wireless it does not... Even though I have full strength connection on a high speed cable line. Would there be some way to remedy this? I normally dont sit anywhere near an ethernet cord lol.

Thanks for your help so far!

normally Im running firefox or maybe songbird too. It all depends but I just verified that it doesnt matter what other programs are running at the time it still doesnt wanna play nice with my wireless...
    Last edited by 11010110; January 27th, 2009 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since the problem is with the wireless networking and not the program, try setting up your connection using wicd. I have not tried it, but I hear that it is a superior replacement for the ubuntu network manager.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 11010110 View Post
    I dont think that i could be the connection, I am at about 80-100% connection and its on a high speed connection. I couldnt imagine the entire AIM server going down... Any other ideas?
    I do remember a time a few years ago where the entire AIM servers did go down (: Not ENTIRELY implausible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast