Thread: Graphics card not working properly?

Beans

Graphics card not working properly?

I run Ubuntu 8.04 and recently installed a GeForce 8600 GT. When I booted, it gave me the option to install restricted drivers which I did. After doing so, I could use the Compiz advanced desktop effects as I could before I installed the graphics card. However, when I play videos and use effects, my main CPU usage looks just like before. Is there anything additional I can do? I was under the impression the bulk of graphics calculations would be done by the graphics card and free up my main processor.

Beans

Re: Graphics card not working properly?

U need to grab yourself envyNG from the repositories and use it to install the latest Nvidia drivers. Never use the retricted driver manager, its pretty much rubbish.

Beans

Hey thanks! From here, how do I select the new drivers to be used and remove the old ones?

I installed it and rebooted but I still seem to be using the restricted driver... How do I change it?
    Last edited by JustAnotherVagueAnon; January 27th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Beans

I still need help with this. I don't know where the restricted driver is located and it still seems to be enabled. I need help enabling the non-proprietary driver.