Thread: looking for lossless encoder that iPod plays

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

looking for lossless encoder that iPod plays

I have moved from Windows to Intrepid 8.04, and getting my iPod to work right is the next step. All the music on my iPod is in apple lossless. I have realized from reading posts that I need a ripper as well as a Linux music player/synchronizer.
    My goal is to use a ripper that will take my CDs and produce either Apple Lossless or some other lossless format that my iPod will play. I really don't care about file size. I'd put WAV files on the iPod if I knew how.
    I'd be grateful for recommendations of ripping software that I don't need Wine for.
    I was going to use Banshee for synchronizing, but if people have preferences, i'd appreciate hearing about people's experiences.
    thanks!

Beans

Re: looking for lossless encoder that iPod plays

Well I don't believe your gonna get apple lossless unless you use wine. As far as .wav's, I don't know, maybe .aif's? (never looked into a linux app to format .aif, again it's doable in wine.

Myself I use .m4a (aac). I prefer using RubyRipper and the linux version of neroAacEnc. (free
    Depending on the -q setting you can get more than adequate quality for an ipod or decent sound system.

You could also use faac, though you'd need to stay away from gstreamer apps for encoding, gstreamer uses the main profile which is unsuitable. (gave a half-hearted attempt to change to LC, no luck