Thread: Initrd.img hangs at boot up after updating 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Initrd.img hangs at boot up after updating 8.10

(See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6617822 for the solution.)

I just installed quite a number of new packages on a completely up-to-date Intrepid 8.10, using synaptic. Installation went without problems. When I reboot, I see:
    Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 ...<UUID>...
    Starting up ...
    Loading, please wait ...
    <CLEAR SCREEN>
    usb 2-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
    usb 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
    After rebooting from a rescue environment, I checked /boot and saw that initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic had been changed by synaptic. Luckily, I had backed up the previous version of initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic, so I renamed the bad one and was able to boot from the previous version.

This error is completely repeatable. However, my hard disk is luks-encrypted, so no logs are saved in /var/log. I do see other copies of these same error messages in /var/log/syslog (from a successful boot into my luks-envryped LVM root disk).

So, my questions:
    1. What caused this error?
    2. How can I help debug this error?
    3. How can I fix it other than by using a previous version of initrd.img?
    4. How can I tell which changes were made to initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic that caused it to fail to be able to boot? I presume the changes were made because of newly loaded modules, but maybe it's something else. Is there something I can diff between the two versions of initrd.img?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by John Wiersba; January 30th, 2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: solved in another post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Initrd.img hangs at boot up after updating 8.10

subscribing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thx for the tips and the bug-reporting, John.

I was trying to repair a broken LILO and rescue my system (also using full disk encryption). I could update LILO and copy over the kernels & initrd.img stuff from a working install but I couldn't update the init-related files inside the broken installation, even with all the partitions mounted & unencrypted. Eventually, I had to reinstall from scratch, then copy over my data + settings. 30+ hours troubleshooting and then the reinstall only took about 5 hours to get everything as it was. I'm hoping this stuff will get simpler down the road.