Thread: Moving Ubuntu Accounts to new Ratel Value

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Moving Ubuntu Accounts to new Ratel Value

My new machine is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday the 28th. I know that I have to move my present users' home directories to the new machine.

Do I have to create the accounts in the same order I did on the old machine?

They will be going from 32bit to 64 bit will this cause any problems?

I read in another thread a way to copy my package list from old to new is this a good idea?

I also will be changing the operating version to HH before I do the new install. Will this cause any problems and how to I get the System 76 drivers after I change to HH?
    Linux Registered user #479578 Ubuntu user #24202

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Moving Ubuntu Accounts to new Ratel Value

Just make the new accounts first, Then copy all their files over and you should be set. As for the rest, I'm not really qualified to answer. >.>
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Moving Ubuntu Accounts to new Ratel Value

To be honest, I'm not real hip on copying over entire home directories. There are a ton of invisible configuration files in that directory, and I've occasionally had irritating conflicts whenever I just assumed that everything would transfer over nicely.

So, I would just create an account on your new machine and transfer over the directories you need and the configuration files you're SURE won't hose anything.

Just my opinion.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC