Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 demo at Museum of Computing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

10.10 demo at Museum of Computing

We'll be running a demo of 10.10 at the Museum of Computing, 6-7 Theatre Square, Swindon SN1 1QN on Saturday 16 October from about 9.30 onwards. If you're nearby, come and say hello!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 10.10 demo at Museum of Computing

Just missed this, boooo!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wow its a small world after all! lol (im from Swindon too)

I think my grandad helps out at the museum, maybe you know/met him, his name is Rex?

Sounds like the event would have been interesting... I notice your now running a 'bedroom programming' venue on the good old Spectrum. I used to love the Speccy, it was the 1st computer I ever learnt to program on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Rex is taking the photos for our catalogue, and he's helping me with a visit from 50 french engineering students next week.

Beans
    Distro

Will there be any future Linux based activities at the Museum of Computing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've had to take a back seat for a few months, so I haven't organised anything - I'm still using 10.10 as I don't like Unity. And it doesn't bring in the visitors like the Games Events do. What sort of events would you like to see?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah I dont like Unity either, or the new Gnome 3.

Im actually running both Xubuntu 11.04 and straight Debain now (which still uses Gnome 2). Both have advantages and disadvantages, such as Dedian takes longer to set things up right while Xubuntu has a bit more to learn (being a different window manager) and has some compatibility issues, although it does a good job at trying to mimic Gnome.

Events....

How about combining the two and running 'more modern' games development under Linux? (most of which would still be dated by todays standard, but say similar games to the last 10yrs)
    I think this would pull in an equal (or greater) number of visitors. maybe more from the younger generations (this is off the top of my head as im not sure the age ranges currently visiting from which age groups).

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to rock the boat but I like Unity

I would have liked to have seen an Ubuntu 11.10 event to try an popularise the new release and answer peoples questions about using an alternative OS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Ernie View Post
    I would have liked to have seen an Ubuntu 11.10 event to try an popularise the new release and answer peoples questions about using an alternative OS?
    Sorry my brains a bit numb at the moment, I dont understand what you are trying to say?

Anyway, no need to be sorry, you are entitled to your own opinion, and isnt any less important than anyone elses.
    That is the essence of Linux after all... the ability to completely customise and personalise your OS to your own personal liking.

Personally I think that Unity is very well suited to netbook-type devices, possibly even an actual laptop, especially those with limited screen size and pointer devices.
    But I do not feel, at least for me, that it isnt really suited for a "Main PC" or such like. A single desktop PC for the family, a PC for a single individual where a lot of different things/tasks are done/tested/installed/etc (such as a teenager/college student), or an actual business PC, are examples of where Ubuntu may be used and the Unity interface 'probably' isnt the best interface/shell to use.
    There are, of course, always exceptions to the rule.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bondy_uk View Post
    Sorry my brains a bit numb at the moment, I dont understand what you are trying to say?
    I mean a demo like what was done with 10.10 at the MoC last year.

Personally I think that Unity is very well suited to netbook-type devices, possibly even an actual laptop, especially those with limited screen size and pointer devices.
    But I do not feel, at least for me, that it isnt really suited for a "Main PC" or such like. A single desktop PC for the family, a PC for a single individual where a lot of different things/tasks are done/tested/installed/etc (such as a teenager/college student), or an actual business PC, are examples of where Ubuntu may be used and the Unity interface 'probably' isnt the best interface/shell to use.
    Yes Unity is a shift to mobile computing which will be needed as we see more and more laptops, smartphones, tablets and ultrabooks uses and primary computing devices.
    I still think Unity is valid as a desktop shell, I still have a machine with a Gnome2 shell and in comparisson I dont think there is much in it for usablity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast