Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK suppliers of computer systems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

UK suppliers of computer systems?

I'm in the market for a quantity of computers, say 50 every three months or so ongoing. I would like to purchase from somewhere that doesn't put any OS on them so as I can install Ubuntu. I'd like that 'service' reflected in the price - that is, I'd like the most bargain basement PC available. I'd like Dell machines to be honest. They do Vostros for £160 plus the dreaded, which if you took the Vista infection away might be more reasonable. However I fear they will just giggle when I ask them to supply without an OS...

So, does anyone have any experience they'd like to share of purchasing quantities of machines within the UK?
    Bazzer

Beans
    Distro

Re: UK suppliers of computer systems?

Well Dell are out, just called them, spoke to their corporate sales department, and they told me they cannot supply a PC without an operating system. And that all PC manufacturers must sell PCs with an operating system, reason being Microsoft have 'told them all to do it'. Do I smell something?
    Bazzer

Beans

so ask dell for ubuntu, they already sell systems with it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
    And that all PC manufacturers must sell PCs with an operating system, reason being Microsoft have 'told them all to do it'. Do I smell something?
    Rubbish.

Most large-scale producers get OEM discounts from Microsoft for agreeing to that kind of deal.

However, smaller producers are less encumbered with MS deals.

Beans

I've tried to return my Vista Ultimate from my purchase of the Vostro 1500 from Dell last year. Didn't work.
    Last edited by Wv0wvw88wvw0vW; February 5th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Beans

I think HP sells computers with FreeDOS instead of Windows. It might be worth having a chat with them.

Beans

I work as a technician for a company that sells refurbished PC's and laptops, we sell them all with no OS and have a nice range of makes. we are very busy and im sure could meet those requirements.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Zabadda - no offence intended, but I don't want second- user kit, I want new, Linux friendly kit with all the same components throughout.

My current best guess is getting some Shuttle PCs made up for us.
    Bazzer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you tell the sales people the number of PC's you were thinking of buying? I've had PC's from Dell with no OS a few times. I was ordering a server at the same time (no OS on that either). You have to haggle a bit with the sales! but you CAN get the machines with no OS! The "have to have an OS" is total rubbish! But they can easily stick on their Ubuntu if worst comes to worst!

Also their are a few different sales numbers (I think) Corp sales are for Huge Organisations. Try the "Dell Outlet" number instead. Outlet are not always "second hand" they are usually "over ordered" items or bulk orders which were cancaled before getting sent out to clients.
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bazzer

I have purchased from Novatech who have given me good service and they will supply systems without OSs. If you are thinking of using laptops then I would suggest that you check thoroughly that what you are thinking of will work with the Linux kernel.

I had problems with not being able to load any Linux OS on to a Laptop from them but they were prepared to work with me and in the end took back the system and gave a full refund.

Novatech have individual sales units so if you are thinking of quantity then they could possible suit.
    If you are here to drink to forget please pay in advance.

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast