Thread: Window borders disappear when clicked on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Window borders disappear when clicked on

I am running hardy on a acer aspire one with 1 GB ram, 120 GB HDD, 1.6 GHz atom processor.

The problem I am having is with the emerald theme engine. After I downloaded and ran fusionbuild to install the latest version of compiz fusion from git for me, emerald stopped working. When I try to grab a window border to move the window, it disappears, like emerald just shut itself off. I have to restart X to get the border to come back, but it disappears again as soon as I click anywhere on the border. I have tried removing and reinstalling emerald with no luck. Running emerald --replace in the terminal does nothing. I have the command set in sessions and window decorator, so it isn't that I missed something on the setup. Everything worked perfectly before using fusionbuild. When I use the normal GTK windows, everything works how its supposed to. Is there a conflict between emerald and the latest version of compiz that I should know about, or is the latest version of emerald just this unstable?

**I just got emerald to work again by removing the newer version of compiz and going with the version in the add/remove program on Hardy. It would still be nice to get it to work with the newer compiz so I can use the deform cube plugin. If any one has an idea, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by trikster_x; January 26th, 2009 at 07:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Window borders disappear when clicked on

Go to CCSM and under "window decoration" command, type "emerald --replace.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gettinoriginal View Post
    Go to CCSM and under "window decoration" command, type "emerald --replace.
    If you read my first post entirely, you would have seen I did that already. I wish it was that simple because I wouldn't have had to start a thread to fix the problem.....

I do have some more info, though. It appears that I can't enable the visual effects at all with the latest version of compiz installed. But when I removed it last night, and installed the original version I had, emerald worked fine and I could enable the normal and extra settings of visual effects. So I am starting to think it is a problem with compiz not emerald.....

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just did some research on Fusionbuild, and notice that by the authors admission he is still working on it, and invites questions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=871165&page=3
    and has a blog here:
    http://fusionbuild.wordpress.com/
    Sorry I cannot be of more help, I'm basically a chicken and stick to stable stuff
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that forum link. I left a reply there, and will continue to update in this thread.

It might be helpful to mention that when I first boot into Ubuntu, I can go to Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects and extra is selected, but as soon as I try to click a border, none becomes selected. When I try to select extra again, I get the message "Desktop Effects could not be enabled".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sounds like your home-spun compiz isn't working right. (I know, stating the obvious)

Have you considered just going back to the compiz in the repos?

Beans
    Distro

I actually did that. But I kinda want the cube deformation plugin, which is not available to the version of compiz in the hardy repositories. All the other newer plugins work with it though, so I will probably have to settle....