I'm having trouble with my HP Compaq nx6125 overheating on any Ubuntu based distro. Hardy, Mint and Progex are all cooking it. No, I can't tell you the exact temp as I haven't managed to get a temperature sensor working yet, but it is almost too hot to touch, far too hot to use on my lap. NO, it isn't a dirty fan as it was running just fine on windows, and NO I don't want to turn off all the processes and not play Flash. IT IS A BUG and it shouldn't be running this hot.

Spent hours googling. Installing kpowernow and tweaking something (think I had to uninstall some other power manager which had disabled the cpu scaling option) was promising but no joy.

I think the real problem is with the fan controls. This model has some sort of power management built into the bios and it seems that must conflict somehow with the linux kernel? Maybe?

I've found one informative page on the next-model-up, and I hope that these fixes might work for my computer. However I've had pretty mixed results whenever I start tinkering with things and I really don't know what I'm doing.

http://www.wolframschenck.de/nx6325.htm

Patching a kernel is probably something I'll screw up, so if I can get any advice on dealing with this it would be appreciated. I've seen quite a lot of questions about notebooks overheating so I think I won't be the only person who'll make use of any information. Most of the solutions so far are pretty useless (clean your fans and install a temperature sensor... not going to fix a bug, really....)

I hope I can get this sorted, as the Ubuntu based distros are really my favorite. I've found most of the others I've tried quite frustrating, especially with wireless support or sound issues.

thanks!