Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.04.2 and Pulseaudio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

8.04.2 and Pulseaudio

Doe's 8.04.2 fix the issues everyone seems to be having Pulseaudio?
    I'm dual booting with XP and my SB0240 Audigy 2 cards works just fine in XP but I've haven't been able a peep out of it in Linux.

If I've been doing all the updates in 8.04 then
    Do I in have in essence 8.04.2 already?
    Else
    Do I need to install 8.04.1 then 8.04.2?

I'm trying to maintain my positive attitude towards Linux but this sound issue is starting to wear me down. My wife has been commenting about the reason she doesn't want Linux on her machine is that she wants to use her machine rather than play with it.. @#%@ She's got a point there....
    My needs are basic, I want to get the sound working on the games I play with my little one. Sorry about the quasi-rant. (Ahhh great, the cat jumped up on my desk and I spilled coffee on my keyboard... It seems like my Enter key isn't working now))..... Is there an easy way to get the sound working (short of using XP?) Thanks... (Hopefully the day will get better)
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; January 25th, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo's

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 8.04.2 and Pulseaudio

there is a great tutorial here on the forums by one of the pluseaudio dev's, I'm not at my desktop or I'd post the link. I hear what your sayin about your wife, do what I do setup her own profile and when it meets her approval NEVER mess with her setup. Then just explain to her that just because you tinker, doesn't mean she has to. cheers!

found the link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ost+sound+card
    Last edited by snkiz; January 25th, 2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: found link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you already have 8.04.2 if you did all the upgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    you already have 8.04.2 if you did all the upgrades
    That's sort of what I figured.... I just wasn't sure...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by snkiz View Post
    there is a great tutorial here on the forums by one of the pluseaudio dev's, I'm not at my desktop or I'd post the link. I hear what your sayin about your wife, do what I do setup her own profile and when it meets her approval NEVER mess with her setup. Then just explain to her that just because you tinker, doesn't mean she has to. cheers!

found the link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ost+sound+card
    I've actually been to that link, worked through the how to without success. The first couple of posts where interesting but after reading 20 or 30 pages of that thread my problem was not solved and I didn't feel like I learned anything...

I really have no intention of turning into a sound geek but my suspicion is that's what's its going to take to solve this... I bought this computer used after my wife hosed her computer while she was upgrading her Bios.... She eventually got it straightened out and I got the newer older computer.... I got to hand it to here, I don't think I would take on a bios upgrade..
    Anyway it seems like the sound card has some interesting capabilities is I could get this darn thing working.

I need to keep typing here to loosen up the keep board from the cat/coffee incident this morning.

I been trying to turn this into a learning experience(in order not to loose it) and and someone pointed me to this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012. Which eventually pointed me to to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=997506. Anyway I seemed to have learned a few things but my problem is not solved.

I would think that some of the super-geeks out there would have come up with some type of wonder diagnostic utility to help us wannabe geeks out here.. Is there such a thing???

Beans

Why don't you try something simple to start. Double left click on the little speaker icon in your upper panel next to the date.
    In the pop up click on switches and set Audigy Analog/Digitial Output jack to the opposite of what it currently is.
    (on my SB0240 in 8.04 it's checked

Then go to System -> Preferences -> Sound and test movies and music. (won't hurt to move off of 'autodetect' to 'alsa'

You may also find in individual apps settings or preferences to do the same, move the audio output off of default to alsa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Why don't you try something simple to start. Double left click on the little speaker icon in your upper panel next to the date.
    In the pop up click on switches and set Audigy Analog/Digitial Output jack to the opposite of what it currently is.
    (on my SB0240 in 8.04 it's checked

Then go to System -> Preferences -> Sound and test movies and music. (won't hurt to move off of 'autodetect' to 'alsa'

You may also find in individual apps settings or preferences to do the same, move the audio output off of default to alsa
    Well.. for some reason I had it in my mind that "Audigy Analog/Digital Output jack" was supposed to be off. I went to System -> Preferences -> Sound and test movies and music. I had did the following tests:

"pulse audio": nothing(on first try, but later got same error message as ALSA see below')
    "Via 8237": N/A Mother board sound chip
    "P16V": Test tone.
    "Multichannel Playback": Test Tone

Multichannel Capture/PT:Error message See below
    ADC Capture/Stand PCM Playback: Error message see below
    ALSA-Advanced Linux Sound Architecture: Error message see below

"
    audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=music: Could not open audio device for playback.
    OSS-Open Sound System: Test Tone
    "Auto Detect": I get a test tone now..... Cool.

Ok.... This is farther along than I gotten in a few days... At least I have something working....
    Any idea's on what going on with the error messages in Pulse Audio and Alsa??
    I left it on auto detect, a gave my Maelstrom game a try which uses SDL got nothing.....
    At least I got some some noice out of the analog speakers finally...
    Any suggestions on what to try next?

Beans

Hi Jonas,

I googled "ubuntu 8.04.2 pulseaudio" and this was the first result that came it. It seems clear that others are looking for a resolution to the train wreck that is pulseaudio on Uuntu. Hopefully other people will find this post as well.

To answer your question, no, it does not look like 8.04.2 includes changes specifically related to fixing pulseaudio-related bugs:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyRelease...Summary/8.04.2

Which is almost unbelievable to me given what a disaster this has been.

My tip to all users who are having trouble with audio on Ubuntu is to opt out and use Kubuntu 8.04.2. aRts, the KDE 3.5 sound server, works great. To try Kubuntu, just run the following command to install the kubuntu "meta" package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Note to GNOME users: I'm not recommending Kubuntu in order to start a KDE versus GNOME flamewar, I'm simply attempting to solve this problem of audio in the way that has worked best for me, which has simply been to cut pulseaudio out of the picture in the least-invasive way.

Please report your results here, as I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Good luck,

Jake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am half tempted to try Kubuntu.
    I managed to get Alsa working and I was working on my pulseAudio connection connected.
    I followed a thread on how to get the connection working and proceeded to totally hose up my sound, basically back to ground -1. Man is this frustrating.

Anyway, something is screwed up now with my acpi-support. I thought it was something did, but since it was a "top bug fix" I not so sure now.

This is supposed to be fun and relaxing for me... I guess it's still fun, but I don't know about the relaxing part..

Beans

I had problem with pulseaudio. I have removed that one and configured with ALSA. it is doing really great.
    where there is a will there is a way.LOOSUPAYA twitterFollow me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast