Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to transfer music from Rhythmbox to Ipod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Unable to transfer music from Rhythmbox to Ipod

Im using Rhythmbox to store and play music, I would have used Amarok but I can't figure out how to have that play mp3's (issue 1), Now with Rhythmbox I am unable to transfer music to my Ipod (nano 3rd gen) (issue 2). I can transfer music from Ipod to computer though... which is odd considering I used to use Itunes which allowed me to put music on my ipod but not add music to my library from my Ipod.

If any of that made sense, please help.
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Unable to transfer music from Rhythmbox to Ipod

You might have better luck using gtkpod. Install it by typing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gtkpod
    Then launch it from the Applications>Sound and Video menu.

Also, this could be a permissions issue. Reboot your computer, and don't plug your iPod in until you've already started gtkpod/Rhythmbox. This should ensure that the system mounts it with the correct permissions settings.

EDIT: it would also be good if you posted the output of this command (while your iPod is plugged in):

Code:
    lsusb
    Last edited by pytheas22; January 25th, 2009 at 05:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost175 View Post
    Im using Rhythmbox to store and play music, I would have used Amarok but I can't figure out how to have that play mp3's (issue 1), Now with Rhythmbox I am unable to transfer music to my Ipod (nano 3rd gen) (issue 2). I can transfer music from Ipod to computer though... which is odd considering I used to use Itunes which allowed me to put music on my ipod but not add music to my library from my Ipod.

If any of that made sense, please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Well itunes and rhythmbox are not going to be exactly alike, its the ipod that matters here.
    More modern ipods wont work with linux, because apple hates us though steals things from us and rebrands it as their own.
    If this is a new ipod, you are not in luck.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro

@2nd post Im using gtkpod but its giving me a read-only error, so I'm starting to believe that the 3rd post is true, is there no way override this read-only mode? Any update to include newer generation ipods?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost175 View Post
    @2nd post Im using gtkpod but its giving me a read-only error, so I'm starting to believe that the 3rd post is true, is there no way override this read-only mode? Any update to include newer generation ipods?
    Jailbreaking seems go work for most, but do at your own leisure as we dont really encourage it (though I do, apple deserves a kick in the pants)

Either that or use a mp3 player that you can use with linux, a sansa sandisk is my choice
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Jailbreaking seems go work for most, but do at your own leisure as we dont really encourage it (though I do, apple deserves a kick in the pants)

Either that or use a mp3 player that you can use with linux, a sansa sandisk is my choice
    What's jailbreaking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do yourself a favor and install Songbird instead. The only software that works like it should with no extra fuzz.

http://www.getdeb.net/release.php?id=3519

Beans
    Distro

What's the output of the commands:
    Code:
    lsusb
    ls -l /media
    while your iPod is plugged in? With that information, we can google to see if other users have had issues with it.

Also, what exactly does gtkpod say regarding the read-only error? And does the error still occur if you open gtkpod as root by typing in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gtkpod
    If that also fails, it will rule out permissions as the source of your problem, so that we can be confident in attributing it to Apple's fascism. But for now it's still possible that the issue is caused by Ubuntu mounting your iPod in such a way that only root can write to it.
    Last edited by pytheas22; January 25th, 2009 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Could not open "(null)" for reading extended info.
    Extended info will not be used.
    Error reading iPod photo database (Photos directory not found: '/media/disk/iPod_Control/Photos' (or similar).).

was the error I recieve when I tell gtkpod what model Ipod I have

when i actually attempt to add a song it goes alittle more like:

Transfer of 'C'Mon C'Mon' failed. Error opening '/media/disk/iPod_Control/Music/F12/gtkpod477998.mp3' for writing (Read-only file system).

Song Bird downloaded and says I need to format my ipod for windows, orr turn off journaling for the Ipod using MAc's Disk Utility app... but im only running linux so if nothing else works ill tkae it to a mac or pc and see if i can do either of those
    Last edited by Ghost175; January 25th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, formatting the iPod for Windows often helps. If that doesn't work, it would still be good to see the output of:
    Code:
    lsusb
    ls -l /media
    Also, as a last resort you could run Windows in a virtual machine and access the device that way by giving it direct access to the iPod. VirtualBox makes this easy. But only do that if all else fails...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast