Thread: DVD playback and sound problems

Beans

DVD playback and sound problems

I am running Hardy Heron. Somehow the audio and video features on my system have become corrupted since attempting to install the VLC media player.

The VLC player works but without the sound. Unfortunately there are other side effects.

Totem only plays the introduction part of a DVD and never gets to the main content. The CD player likewise plays audio CDs but without the sound.

The sound still works with other applications (e.g. Flash and RealPlayer - both with MP3s and with internet radio). WMV and AVI files also work in both Totem an VLC players without the sound (I can play these files with MPlayer with the Sound.)

Prior to installing VLC player I had enabled the Intrepid Medibuntu repository by mistake.I may have downloaded an unwanted file that is still lurking in the background. Uninstalling and reinstalling VLC, Totem etc is not helping (it has made Totem worse in fact).

Any Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DVD playback and sound problems

Hi Andy Ubay.

How did you install vlc?
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Re: DVD playback and sound problems

Hi hansdown,

Thanks for getting back to me.

First of all I installed VLC using the command line. I wrote:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread3 libdvdnav4 vlc
    As I had the sound problem I then went to the synaptic pakage manager and selected a complete unistall. I then tried to install again using Synaptic.

Andy.