Thread: Networking with Satelite S1000

Beans

Networking with Satelite S1000

I had problem with Ubuntu told to use Xbuntu...Spot on....But I cant seem to install the network side. Because I want to install WINE. Any use the net.

It a Satelite S1000, tried ifconfig, lspci and sudo lshw -C Network , which method the card was disabled...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: You Guy are clever

I'm assuming you are trying to get WIFI to work, not wired ethernet? Toshiba has used a lot of different chips, and the details matter, so if you could post some of that lspci output, that would help. The odds are fairly high that it has a not quite supported Atheros chip. If so, the things that are likely to work are either 8.04 variants with ndiswrapper and the XP driver, or 8.10 variants with the newer madwifi driver compiled from source. Which version of Xubuntu are you running?

If you have access to a live Fedora 10 CD, that might be interesting, as that was the first thing to actually get WIFI right out of the box on my toshiba satellite A215-S5818 laptop (atheros AR5006EG, AR2423 chip).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Kreed View Post
    It a Satelite S1000, tried ifconfig, lspci and sudo lshw -C Network , which method the card was disabled...
    Post the output from these commands.

A disabled card may be due to BIOS setting, Windows turning off network adapter due to "power-saving" or incorrect driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Networking with Satelite S1000

Title edited. Please try to use a title related to your own problem, that will help people help you, thanks.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    Post the output from these commands.

A disabled card may be due to BIOS setting, Windows turning off network adapter due to "power-saving" or incorrect driver.
    *-network:1 DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 2
    logical name: pan0
    serial: a2:47:c9:24:72:5d
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

This a wired inbuilt card, not a wireless I plug a 3com into the pc card slot to check the networking, there only minimal setup screen in the bios.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Kreed View Post
    This a wired inbuilt card, not a wireless I plug a 3com into the pc card slot to check the networking, there only minimal setup screen in the bios.
    I don't think it is. pan0 is generally for Bluetooth networking:
    http://affix.sourceforge.net/affix-doc/c1051.html

Does ifconfig / lshw list any other network interfaces?