Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

I'm posting this HowTo since I think it is a great advancement in HD playback on Linux and people should be able to take advantage of it. I found out how to do this from the following post on doom9.org: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...45#post1221445

Overview: To use mplayer with multithreaded decoding abilities all you have to do is compile mplayer as per usual, but having replaced the normal ffmpeg source code (within the mplayer source code directory) with the ffmpeg-mt source code (http://gitorious.org/projects/ffmpeg/repos/ffmpeg-mt).

I'm going to use the following guide written by andrew.46 entitled [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs as the basis for my tutorial as it's very thorough and I feel there's no need to reinvent the spoon.

How to install:

1. Follow andrew.46's guide until you reach the point "Download and Compile the svn mplayer" (you can skip the step "Installing the amr libraries" if you don't need these, I skipped it)

2. When you reach the step "Download and Compile the svn mplayer" proceed as andrew.46 says with downloading the mplayer source code from SVN:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME
    $ svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    When this is done it's time to download the ffmpeg-mt source code. First you need git, install it with the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core
    Then download the source code for ffmpeg-mt using git:

Code:
    git clone http://git.gitorious.org/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt.git
    In order to make use of the now downloaded ffmpeg-mt source code you need to replace the three following folders from the mplayer source directory with the folders from the ffmpeg-mt directory: "libavcodec", "libavformat" and "libavutil".

Code:
    cd mplayer #enter the directory where the mplayer source code is
    rm -rf libavcodec libavformat libavutil #delete the three aforementioned folders
    cp -a ../ffmpeg-mt/libavcodec . #copy the three folders from the ffmpeg-mt source dir to mplayers source dir
    cp -a ../ffmpeg-mt/libavformat .
    cp -a ../ffmpeg-mt/libavutil .
    Now you have the mplayer source code in which the ffmpeg source has been replaced with the ffmpeg-mt source. You should be ready to go.

Now just follow the rest of andrew.46's guide starting from:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    $ ./configure --enable-gui
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    $ make clean
    and mplayer should compile with no problems.

Here are some benchmarks of mplayer with the normal single-threaded ffmpeg decoder compared to the multi-threaded ffmpeg decoder playing various 1080p H.264 video samples (using my Core2 Quad 2.83GHz CPU):

Code:
    			SINGLE-THREADED FPS	MULTI-THREADED FPS	PERCENT INCREASE IN FPS

The Dark Knight		37			121			329%

In Bruges		45			134			296%
    (no -ss 120)

The Bank Job		46			141			305%

The Terminator		37			126			341%
    (no -ss 120)

(MPLAYER ARGUMENTS: -vc ffh264 -lavdopts threads=4 -vo null -benchmark -frames 1000 -ss 120 -nosound)
    I hope you've enjoyed this guide, I basically just snatched the guides from the two aforementioned users and joined them, thanks goes out to them.

Happy HD viewing
    Last edited by runesvend; February 10th, 2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I had forgotten to link to andrew.46's guide

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

thank you, I gonna try this when I upgrade my system, very soon.

for now, can you tell me what this mean?
    Code:
    Starting playback...
    [h264 @ 0x8902510]Cannot parallelize deblocking type 1, decoding such frames in sequential order
    VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [null] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
    V: 162.5   0/  0 70%  0%  0.0% 0 0
    that's when using
    Code:
    -vc ffh264 -lavdopts threads=4 -vo null -benchmark -frames 1000 -ss 120 -nosound
    (pentium 4, 2.6ghz)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Hi,

You might be better to use a newer version of my MPlayer guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024592

which is a little more polished than the older one that you have linked to. Better still why not copy and paste the relevant sections of my guide into your own? I have absolutely no objection and it would make it a bit easier for people to follow your guide from beginning to end.

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Where do I download the svn tarball for ffmpeg-mt? Using git is too slow for my current bandwidth?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Has anyone experienced glitches / crashes during h.264 playback (encoded with x264)??
    Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505 [Core 2 Duo T5500, 1536MB DDR2 667, GMA950]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi,

You might be better to use a newer version of my MPlayer guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024592

which is a little more polished than the older one that you have linked to. Better still why not copy and paste the relevant sections of my guide into your own? I have absolutely no objection and it would make it a bit easier for people to follow your guide from beginning to end.

All the best,

Andrew
    Hi Andrew

Thank you for letting me use your guide. Yes, pasting the above modifications into your guide would indeed be easier to follow, I just haven't gotten around to asking you for permission since I haven't had much spare time since writing the above guide.
    But I will definitely do it when I have some more time on my hands.

Alternatively, anyone here are also free to use my guide above and copy and paste the relevant modifications into andrew's guide, if they don't wish waiting for me to do it.

Beans

I can't understand why we need a special version of ffmpeg-mt libraries, if I can see on Smplayer (mplayer gui) some multithread decode options... ?

Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psychok9 View Post
    I can't understand why we need a special version of ffmpeg-mt libraries, if I can see on Smplayer (mplayer gui) some multithread decode options... ?

Thank you.
    The options in Smplayer are *probably* related to an older implementation of multithreading in ffmpeg which doesn't work with most modern x264 encoded videos. ffmpeg-mt is not stable yet, therefore it has to be manually copied to the mplayer source if one wishes to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

First of all, many thanks for this HOWTO. I have been looking for something like this already for some time...

However, I've ran into a problem: Mplayer (r 29238) doesn't compile anymore when I replace the folders libavcodec libavformat libavutil with the ones from ffmpeg-mt.
    FYI, I used the following configure options
    Code:
    ./configure --codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs --confdir=/etc/mplayer --enable-gui --prefix=/usr

make throws the following error:
    Code:
    make -C libswscale
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ingo/SOURCE/mplayer/libswscale'
    cc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I.. -I.. -Wundef -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign -Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -I.  -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/  -I/usr/include/SDL  -D_REENTRANT   -D_REENTRANT   -Ilibdvdread4  -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include   -I/usr/include/schroedinger-1.0 -I/usr/include/liboil-0.3   -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include     -c -o swscale.o swscale.c
    swscale.c: In function 'sws_format_name':
    swscale.c:482: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:482: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    swscale.c:482: error: for each function it appears in.)
    swscale.c:484: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:486: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:488: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:490: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:492: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    In file included from swscale.c:1196:
    swscale_template.c: In function 'yuv2yuv1_MMX2':
    swscale_template.c:961: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    swscale_template.c: In function 'yuv2packed2_MMX2':
    swscale_template.c:1246: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    swscale_template.c:1246: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:1247: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    swscale_template.c:1247: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c: In function 'hScale_MMX2':
    swscale_template.c:2244: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c: In function 'swScale_MMX2':
    swscale_template.c:2946: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:2947: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:2952: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:2953: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:2959: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:2960: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    swscale_template.c:2969: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    swscale_template.c:2975: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    swscale_template.c:2983: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    swscale_template.c:2998: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:2998: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:2998: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:2998: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:2998: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:2998: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c: In function 'sws_init_swScale_MMX2':
    swscale_template.c:3155: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:3156: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:3157: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:3158: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:3159: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale_template.c:3160: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'getSwsFunc':
    swscale.c:1795: warning: unused variable 'flags'
    swscale.c: In function 'planarCopy':
    swscale.c:2166: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2166: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2166: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2166: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2166: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2166: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'getSubSampleFactors':
    swscale.c:2223: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2224: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2243: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2244: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2249: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2250: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'sws_setColorspaceDetails':
    swscale.c:2288: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2288: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2288: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2288: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2288: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2288: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'sws_getColorspaceDetails':
    swscale.c:2336: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2336: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2336: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2336: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2336: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2336: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'sws_getContext':
    swscale.c:2408: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2408: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2408: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2408: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2408: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2408: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'reset_ptr':
    swscale.c:2917: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2917: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2917: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2917: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV420PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2917: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV422PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c:2917: error: 'PIX_FMT_YUV444PBE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    swscale.c: In function 'sws_getCachedContext':
    swscale.c:3404: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    make[1]: *** [swscale.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ingo/SOURCE/mplayer/libswscale'
    make: *** [libswscale/libswscale.a] Error 2
    When I use the original libraries sources from svn trunk, then it compiles without errors.

Any ideas how this can be fixed?
    Thanks.

btw: I am running Jaunty 9.04
    Last edited by disembowler; April 26th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thx!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast