Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Big thanks for putting this together! I just went through the steps, and I'm now watching 720p mkv rips on my little acer aspire one netbook with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. If anyone else is in the same boat as me I had to do a couple of additional tweaks in smplayer to boost performance, specifically:

-video output driver: gl (fast)
    -enable direct rendering
    -audio out: alsa
    -threads for decoding h.264: 2
    -Loop Filter: Skip only on HD videos

Now I don't have to buy a broadcom hd card or coreavc. THANKS!

Beans

Or you could use new versions from debian sid:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...87#post8889887

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is nice! I wanted mplayer-mt. I read the guide, thought meh it never gets any easier, and then found this:

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ripps818/coreavc
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    mplayer gets updated to mt version. CoreAVS has nothing to do with it. It's easy indeed!

Note: This works for MPlayer. Gnome MPlayer does not use MPlayer. Use a different GUI to experience the improvement. KMPlayer for example.
    Windows 7 for Media Production, Ubuntu 12.04/Cinnamon for other work.
    Xubuntu 12.04 as Media Center, CentOS 5.6 as server.
    Linux Mint on my casual laptop, Maemo 5 on my Nokia N900.

Beans

Hi all. I notice that ffmpeg has two options for multithread decoding: Slice threading and Frame threading. How would select which option to use in Mplayer? Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is it new? Because I never had to select anything. Just installing the thing and everything is multicored out of the box. I use it as external player for XBMC, and it works with movies that are too slow on singe core. But I never had to choose anything.

Beans

Yeah I know. Mine works out of the box as well, I just don't know which method mplayer (ffmpeg) is using, Slide or Frame (one of them is being used for sure). I want to test the speed of each method for my specific case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah ok, sorry I haven't got a clue. Don't know the difference. It's enough for me that it works, but I can understand you want to benchmark.

If you figure it out, please don't hesitate to share your benchmark results.

Beans

Sure will. I just figured out that seems like Frame Threading is set by default!

Beans

Still haven't figured out yet. Even sent a message to Strange. Any one have any idea?

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Been struggling for days now to make multithreaded mplayer work... I think I did pretty much straightforward things, and it seems that it is played multithreaded (which I can see from htop), but every few seconds, playback of h.264 1080p freezes for a moment, not to mention sound isn't working at all (but that's the easier problem I think)... it freezes even with -nosound option.

So I grabbed latest mplayer source from SVN which should include latest multithreaded ffmpeg too, compiled it all and tried mplayer -lavdopts threads=4... freezes every few seconds, then I replaced ffmpeg source under mplayer dir with ffmpeg-mt from git, recompiled mplayer - still the same...

I just don't know what should I do next, maybe it's not the problem in mplayer/ffmpeg at all, maybe it's video drivers, video output... I have Core 2 Duo T5800 2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2, it's Asus X65VA laptop.

Actually, in this 11.04 installation I managed to make it work in ripps mplayer/CoreAVC combination, but only for short period. Now I get something like "x11 not initialized", when I try it that way... Under previous Ubuntu 10.04 installation CoreAVC combination worked, but there were some nasty bugs fast forwarding the movies in SMPlayer, so I decided I should try it again..

Huh...... Hope someone will help a poor man that understands the value of Linux, but still... I must make an observation: In Windows, these kind of problems are much less frequent... There, everything tends to be simpler and most of the time it works at once...

The more... Really I can't consider any Linux distro to be serious if it doesn't use all cores when decoding 1080p, out of a box... And so far, I think no distro supports it. Yeah I know, it's all still experimental with mplayer/vlc, but how many more fu*king years do we have to wait??? I mean, things like this are serious disadvantage for Linux compared to Windows, and may be part of the reason Linux is not adopted more widely...

While I'm here, need to continue my rant... Today I installed Linux Mint 10 LXDE.. Guess what, network proxy support is completely broken! And it seems that is the problem with previous versions too. Sometimes, Linux lacks some really basic things, which is sad because the whole philosophy behind is much much better than using proprietary operating systems...
    Last edited by trancephorm; May 18th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast