Thread: Cannot play DVDs (libdvdcss2 installed)

Beans

Cannot play DVDs (libdvdcss2 installed)

Hi,

I am unable to play a DVD (Life of Brian) using either Totem, Totem-Xine or VLC, though I have been successful with a different DVD. Attached is the output of:

$ export DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2
    $ vlc > vlc_output.txt 2>&1

As you can see from the messages, libdvdcss is installed (version 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1).

My DVD drive is region 4 (verified using regionset), and the DVD is region 4. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on x86_64.

Please help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: Cannot play DVDs (libdvdcss2 installed)

As you can see from the messages, libdvdcss is installed (version 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1).

My DVD drive is region 4 (verified using regionset), and the DVD is region 4. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on x86_64.

Beans

Unfortunately I'm in totally different region so can't help as to whether there is some structure protection on your title.

What you could try is going into home folder -> .dvdcss and deleting the folder (cache) associated with that title (DVD_VIDEO-2003041609453100-9b9c9e0e6e

That will force vlc to reacquire the keys.

If/when that doesn't work, delete the folder again and start vlc like this (assumes disk is in vlc's default drive - /dev/scd0

Code:
    export DVDCSS_METHOD=title && vlc dvd://
    This will force vlc to use 'title key' method to reacquire the keys (assuming you deleted the cache folder in .dvdcss as before

Beans

It is working now, which is very strange because I didn't do anything except try to play a different DVD and then try the original DVD again.

Beans

One of linux's little mysteries I guess.
    it would be interesting to output another vlc.txt from same disc and run a diff on that and the orig. one to see if anything changed.