Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How-To Install Express Gate / Splashtop on Asus Motherboards from Ubuntu / Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How-To Install Express Gate / Splashtop on Asus Motherboards from Ubuntu / Linux

Quote Originally Posted by BobGod8 View Post
    How did you get past needing a bootloader? All I get is "Bootmgr is missing". I tried installing my own (install-mbr, syslinux, etc.), but just ended up with a screenful of noise.

How did you select the kernel? Do I have to try pointing it to /ASYS.SYS/kernel.bin somehow?
    I didn't get that error - did you remember to set the UUID? I'd double check the value to make sure you don't have a type...
    I like cheese upon crackers. Liver upon crackers, however, is disgusting.

Beans

Re: How-To Install Express Gate / Splashtop on Asus Motherboards from Ubuntu / Linux

Hi,
    I am trying to run Express Gate on my PC. I have first partition NTFS with installed WinXP, but after short message Installing Express gate, computer continue with booting up regular OS.
    This is on my IDE harddrive.
    When I make the same on SATA harddrive, Express Gate works properly.
    Every time I change first boot device to correct disk. I try remove SATA disk, but nothing helped.
    Is it possible that Express Gate works only with SATA drives?
    But I think it is possible to run Express Gate from USB key, so why not from IDE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by BobGod8 View Post
    How did you get past needing a bootloader? All I get is "Bootmgr is missing". I tried installing my own (install-mbr, syslinux, etc.), but just ended up with a screenful of noise.

How did you select the kernel? Do I have to try pointing it to /ASYS.SYS/kernel.bin somehow?
    The BIOS controls starting Splashtop BEFORE it gets as far as loading GRUB. Are you sure you have Splashtop enbled in the BIOS?
    I like cheese upon crackers. Liver upon crackers, however, is disgusting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I just wanted to check that it would work on karmic, thanks for the tutorial I'm hopping that it will work on my new setup with a asus p5q/epu board! Thanks again.

Beans

Interesting thread wish I was a bit more sophisticated with this but I have a similiar problem trying to reinstall splashtop onto my LG X120 netbook. I follow the steps listed in the thread and installed ExpressGateHD-V1469 onto a Fat32 partition. Did the UUID edit to the splash.idx file and gave it a go. My netbook has a specific "power button" for the previous splashtop that was installed and low and behold it worked partially.

It booted however with a corrupt video display, you could make out most of the icons etc. but my guess that this was a driver issue. This has me a little closer to finding a resolve on how to restore this splashtop. The splashtop.com website has the source files for the original version that was installed on the netbook.

Next time I will image the drive before I blow away the partitons

Of course no recovery disk is available.

Any suggestions would be great!

Beans

i have the very same problem as techfreak has.

i blowed away the partitions.

does anyone know how to install this integrated SpalshTop again?

does it work to install SplashTop as explained here - is the SplashTop-Button then booting SplashTop as expected?

greets

p.s.: i wrote to support but until now i got no answer

Beans

I found a ExpressGate-folder on the CD delivered with my eee.

But when i try to install this ExpressGate (ExpressGate/AsusSetup.exe)with wine it says that the EFI-Partition wasn't found.

Also ExpressGate/EN_EXGATE_32H_1.2.17.13_EFI.exe says that the EFI-Partitoin wasn't found.

So I think this installation-routine differes from the one mentioned here for installing SplashTop on the hd "normally".

Does someone know how to get this EFI-Installation working under wine? An idea how this SplashTop can be recovered when accidently blowing up the partitions.

greets

Beans

I got a reply by the ASUS support. They say it wouldn't be possible to recover ExpressGate without recovering the whole system with help of the support dvd. This would be very sad because i would have to install ubuntu again and configure all the things - very sadly.

But i don't want to give up. I think there should be a way to just recover ExpressGate. Therefore i again asked the support more precicesly what the ExpresssGate partitiopn have to look like etc.

Another thing i would give a try is to copy the ExpressGat directories (ASUS-sys) onto a NTFS-partition and see what happens. Maybe someone can offer a copy of the relevant directories?
    But I think there must also be something like flashing the ExpressGate mainboard flash to find the correct partition, but i don't know how to do this.

Can anyone help?
    Does anyone know how to specify what is bootet when hitting the ExpressGate-button?

greets

Beans

so i run a test now on my eee pc 1001p where i accidently deleted the express gate partition:

a) i set up a primary fat32-partition with boot flag.
    b) downloaded the newest expressgate installer from asus.com
    c) executed this installer using wine
    d) copied the directories belonging to express gate from .wine/device_c/ to the previous created fat32-partition
    e) changed the uuid in the splash.idx file to the uuid of the fat32-partition
    f) tried to boot express gate with help of the express gate button on my eee pc 1001p

FAILED

now i want to try wether it is possible in genereal to boot this splashboot installation via my grub.

i think when this test is positive the only thing to change would be the where the express gate button points at.

maybe someone has an idea...

Beans

So my tests and the asus support says:
    no chance to get express gate running without resetting the whole system, which means, loosing all your datas/partitions on the hard drive and install win xp then express gate ...

i won't do that. firstly i don't want to loose all my things and secondly i'm not sure wether it will work afterwards, when then installing ubuntu again on this machine.

very sad!

is there someone who knows if there's a way to use the express gate button as button for starting a certain entry in grub?
    there was a way on my dell, there i use the button for booting a minimal moblin which is also on my harddrive, when i hit the normal boot button there is my ubuntu preselected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast