Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandriver Linux.

Beans

Re: Mandriver Linux.

Hey look, we got tossed to the Mandriver section of the "Other OS" forum. In other words, this thread just became a ghost thread! yay!

Also, thanks to you, from now on, I will call Mandriva "Mandriver". Why? I don't know.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dnRoyston View Post

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE TRUE MAN DRIVER
    Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    Let's not say Mandriver again. It sounds dirty.

Well, either dirty or kinky, depending on how you look at it.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

From the look of those eyes he might be actually attempting to kill init!

Okay... I'll admit that was a pretty horrible joke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As long as he isn't trying to sudo kill init...

Ok, that was an even worse joke!
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Mandriver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well this mandriver is even more dirty or kinky depending on how you look at it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    And their software installer is not as good as apt is.
    nothing is as good as apt imo. but i found mandy's package manager to be quite good. much better than fedora or open suse's.

Beans

Ah, there it is. The mandriver OS.
    Looks like they copied if you ask me

Beans

The op wanted to know if the distro was any good and a simple spelling mistake leaded in a bunch of stupid comments which were funny the first time but not after being repeated so After all the silly comments I'll answer the question of the op.

Mandriva for me has been a very good distro, I used it as a primary distro back in 2006 (Mandriva Free 2006) and I got the Powerpack last year which was 2008.

I've always found that Mandriva is lighter on resources than Ubuntu is, (In Fact most distros I use are lighter than Ubuntu) and it offers much more.

The installer is quite intelligent and it removes packages you simple don't need. Don't have Bluetooth? well it won't be installed so it is definitely more economical on hard drive space and resources and it certainly makes my laptop run well.

The package manager is by no means slow nor has it ever been in my experience. The boot time isn't too bad on a default install (I always use the JFS filesystem, though this doesn't really make a huge difference to boot time).

Getting restricted software installed on the Free edition isn't easy as you have to add plf repositories, but even then once that's setup it's not much more of a big deal than adding rpmfusion on Fedora. Mandriva One does have some proprietary software in it and PowerPack has DVD codecs among other things.

I've found it to be a very stable distro and it's certainly very usable, if it works on your hardware (Uses Kernel 2.6.27) then you should have quite a good time with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    In some ways I find Mandriva better then Ubuntu, in hardware detection and tools.

But it has less software available for it. And you have to add a ton of PLF repos to it. And their software installer is not as good as apt is.
    2 clicks and your password and you are done and I don't think there is less software actually quite the opposite as there are far more backports available than for ubuntu.

Mandriva also seems a lot faster for some reason on the same hardware especially scrolling in ff and opera, no idea why really as the settings and drivers are the same....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast