Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your impressions of Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

Much smoother than Vista, and has yet to display the noticeable system speed slowing that had occurred in Vista.

As long as M$ doesn't screw it up, I'll end up using it on one of my other computers.
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

About a week ago I downloaded and tried installing Windows 7 Beta version and it wouldn't even boot. The computer had more than enough resources to run Windows 7, but it still didn't work. I'll give it another try next time a new 7 Beta floats to the top...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Funny, because Ubuntu's recommended minimum system requirements also mention 8 GB of disk space for installation.

And 8 GB for Windows 7 is an improvement from Windows Vista, which required upwards of 15 GB of disk space for installation.

The RAM requirements of Ubuntu and Windows 7 are the more important requirement to look at rather than the required disk space.
    My installation of Vista took 7GB with no modification, not 15 (I still think 7 is too much).

Ubuntu may recommend 8GB, but that much is obviously not required so I have no problem with it.

And yes, I'm aware the RAM requirements are more important to the way something looks, but I said nothing about the way anything looks. I don't know why you mentioned it.

Bottom line: I still like Windows 7 so far.
    My main system: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.1Ghz, Nvidia 8800GT, 4GB RAM, Debian Lenny/Windows 7 dual-boot. My laptop (Compaq C700): Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, Intel X3100, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kspncr View Post
    And yes, I'm aware the RAM requirements are more important to the way something looks, but I said nothing about the way anything looks. I don't know why you mentioned it.
    I didn't say anything about how something looks. I said that I believe the RAM requirement is a more important requirement to consider before looking at the disk space requirement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't say anything about how something looks. I said that I believe the RAM requirement is a more important requirement to consider before looking at the disk space requirement.
    Sorry about the misunderstanding. I don't think 1GB is too unreasonable.
    My main system: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.1Ghz, Nvidia 8800GT, 4GB RAM, Debian Lenny/Windows 7 dual-boot. My laptop (Compaq C700): Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, Intel X3100, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kspncr View Post
    Sorry about the misunderstanding. I don't think 1GB is too unreasonable.
    Neither do I. I actually think Windows 7 uses my 1 GB of RAM more more efficiently than Windows Vista does.

Beans

I used to hate using the sidebar gadgets in Vista specifically because of the sidebar itself. However, Microsoft removed the sidebar in Windows 7, so now they can float around on the desktop.

I am currently using three gadgets: World Clock, MSN Weather, and Pandora. They're arranged on the very side of the screen, where the sidebar would have been, but they look so much nicer without the sidebar.
    They always could float on the desktop... all they did was remove the sidebar...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthenight View Post
    They always could float on the desktop... all they did was remove the sidebar...
    Well, good riddance, regardless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Getting a few bugs when installing and trying uninstall things but all in all its pretty good, its a beta its not supposed to be perfect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Cee View Post
    About a week ago I downloaded and tried installing Windows 7 Beta version and it wouldn't even boot. The computer had more than enough resources to run Windows 7, but it still didn't work. I'll give it another try next time a new 7 Beta floats to the top...
    More than likely their will not another beta this was it, the OS will be released at or near December.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast