Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new PC: compatibility and software choices.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Advice for new PC: compatibility and software choices.

Hi!

I've been using several Linux distro's for some years now, but I've become more
    interested in the BSD's the last few years. I have finally bought a new PC, and
    I intend to install a BSD on it (I'm leaning heavily towards FreeBSD, although
    I wouldn't preclude NetBSD yet). The overall philosophy, unity and maturity
    really look interesting to me.

I still have a few questions though, and I hope you might be willing to answer
    some of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The PC is a new Dell Studio XPS Desktop model, with an Intel i7 processor and
    6GB of RAM. It sports an ATI Radeon 4850 graphics card.
    It comes with Vista preinstalled, but I'll reinstall that on a small slice. I
    want Vista just for games, which is also why I have ordered the Radeon. I don't
    really care about my graphics for serious work (in fact, I quite prefer wmii).

The screen is a 23inch 1920x1080 S2309 (by Dell too, I believe).
    Would that be compatible in its native resolution, you think? I sure hope so,
    because now I still have to switch windows far too often, and I'm really longing
    for a nice, wide resolution. 8)

I actually do want the 64bit OS-version, since my specs can handle it,
    and also because I have a bit of a weakness for new stuff, and because
    I intend to update and install userland from ports. And I would like to use the
    64bit potential for calculation speed (I'm a student of Engineering).
    I know of some of the drawbacks to 64bit, and how that conflicts with my
    statement supra about maturity, but I'll take the challenge.

Since Dell preconfigures the system, I suppose all components will pretty much
    be compatible with one another on the actual hardware level.
    I can't find any real information about the motherboard though.

Wireless is not necessary: I use Ethernet. USB-support is only necessary for big
    external hard drives (which all work perfectly well with Linux) and, of course,
    for keyboard and mouse. I suppose it all depends on the specific devices, but as
    a rule of thumb, would you say the BSD's can handle those things?

I need to connect to my university over VPN with a Citrix Client. It works (but
    just barely) in Linux. Do the BSD's have options for this situation? Are they
    stable (i.e. stable enough for overnight calculations)?

Are there any specific points I need to bear in mind? (Flash, audio and video
    codecs, Maple and Matlab compatibility [although I'd be perfectly happy to use
    Octave and Sage instead], VPN connection, Citrix Client,...)

Phew... Quite a post. Anyway, I'd be really happy if some of these points
    could be clarified. Feel free to nudge me either way in the FreeBSD -- NetBSD
    choice, by the way. I'm still holding out on torrenting the iso's.

PS: I just found out about Pedro Giffuni's EuroBSDCon 2008 talk about
    working with Engineering applications in FreeBSD. I haven't yet had the time to
    listen it through, but I will do so soon.

My best regards,
    Ruben
    Last edited by Kladaradatsj; January 22nd, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Some spelling errors (since I speak Dutch)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Advice for new PC: compatibility and software choices.

If your external drives work fine with Linux, they should work with FreeBSD.

I haven't come across a system yet that hasn't had an out-of-the-box ethernet connection, so you should be okay there too.

As far as ATI support goes, you should be okay, as I've read reports with folks getting your desired resolution using similar cards. It may take some tweaking with your X configuration. As far as acceleration goes, I don't believe it is support with the current FreeBSD driver. I don't use an ATI card myself, but from what I've read this is the case. Others will probably have more information.

I know that FreeBSD supports Octave, and I believe that MATLAB is supported through its Linux compatibility layer.

As far as your Citrix Client is concerned, it should be able to be installed from ports, but requires the Linux compatibility layer, and the linux-openmotif port, I believe.

Flash in any BSD is usually a bit more problematic than in Linux. The Linux Flash 9 plugin should work, or the alternatives of swfdec or Gnash. Mulitmedia is also a bit more difficult. The gstreamer plugins are available, and there are always win32-codecs. These should cover most of your basic needs.

The NetBSD crew should be along shortly to give their two cents.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Helps a lot! Especially the engineering and connectivity software part. Thanks!

I'll probably install [Free|Net]BSD tomorrow or the day after. There's probably not that much of a difference between the two for me to appreciate, I guess. Perhaps the only thing I really notice that might have an impact for me, is the difference in the number of applications in ports versus in pkgsrc. Has anyone ever found that NetBSD's pkgsrc offers too little applications, or is that a false fear I have?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kladaradatsj View Post
    Perhaps the only thing I really notice that might have an impact for me, is the difference in the number of applications in ports versus in pkgsrc. Has anyone ever found that NetBSD's pkgsrc offers too little applications, or is that a false fear I have?
    I've used NetBSD (and OpenBSD) in addition to FreeBSD, though I currently run FreeBSD exclusively for production work. That said, I've never felt that pkgsrc offers too few applications. I personally prefer the ports system and FreeBSD in general, but that, again, is personal preference.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kladaradatsj View Post
    Helps a lot! Especially the engineering and connectivity software part. Thanks!

I'll probably install [Free|Net]BSD tomorrow or the day after. There's probably not that much of a difference between the two for me to appreciate, I guess. Perhaps the only thing I really notice that might have an impact for me, is the difference in the number of applications in ports versus in pkgsrc. Has anyone ever found that NetBSD's pkgsrc offers too little applications, or is that a false fear I have?
    NetBSD's pkgsrc offers over 7300 packages. I don't find it lacking in the least!

One of the biggest differences in NetBSD and FreeBSD is that NetBSD is installed as a very small base (~250 MB total) and it's up to you to add what you want. For example, it doesn't come with either bash or tcsh -- you can install them from pkgsrc.

I like this (for a number of reasons), but some prefer a more "complete" system right out of the box. FreeBSD will give a more desktop-centric environment from a base installation.
    UbuntuForums Registered NetBSD User #3

Zelo zelatus sum pro Domino, Deo exercituum (1 Kings 19:14)
    Be still, and know that I am God. (Psalms 46:10)

Beans

hey JMJ_coder, never knew you were over here on the ubuntuforums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    hey JMJ_coder, never knew you were over here on the ubuntuforums
    I just signed up after reading a post by windependence on the other forum!
    UbuntuForums Registered NetBSD User #3

Zelo zelatus sum pro Domino, Deo exercituum (1 Kings 19:14)
    Be still, and know that I am God. (Psalms 46:10)

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Advice for new PC: compatibility and software choices.

NetBSD is my favorite BSD. FreeBSD is also nice, but Net just feels simpler and cleaner to me. Flash is deeply screwed up on all of the BSDs, but you can likely get Flash 9 quasi-working. It's not very stable, in my experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
    I just signed up after reading a post by windependence on the other forum!
    Nice and welcome to the NetBSD population on ubuntuforums, currently numbering = 2. So it's great to have another BSD user

NetBSD is my favorite BSD. FreeBSD is also nice, but Net just feels simpler and cleaner to me. Flash is deeply screwed up on all of the BSDs, but you can likely get Flash 9 quasi-working. It's not very stable, in my experience.
    Have you read this http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-...sg015588.html? Haven't had much time lately so I was only able to try it briefly and it didn't work for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Have you read this http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-...sg015588.html? Haven't had much time lately so I was only able to try it briefly and it didn't work for me.
    That's very interesting. I've played with 5.0 some but have stuck with 4 on my desktop. I might have to dig out the virtual machine again to look at this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast