Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ext4 default fs in fedora 11

Beans

Re: ext4 default fs in fedora 11

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse. View Post
    First off upstream does the innovation, distros just pick and choose what they want.RAOF pretty much said everything I was going to but what I will add is alot of people dont realise that fedora is only Red Hat's playground for RHLS.This allows them to push the boat out and have the latest and greatest of everything.The prime example is EXT4, yes theres some bugs but that doesnt matter for Fedora where as with us its important that the file systems is 100% _very_ stable.
    Indeed upstream does the work, but Fedora actually have a big part in upstream work, unlike Ubuntu.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse. View Post
    First off upstream does the innovation, distros just pick and choose what they want.RAOF pretty much said everything I was going to but what I will add is alot of people dont realise that fedora is only Red Hat's playground for RHLS.This allows them to push the boat out and have the latest and greatest of everything.The prime example is EXT4, yes theres some bugs but that doesnt matter for Fedora where as with us its important that the file systems is 100% _very_ stable.

PS Slug: Grub only works with EXT4 because its been patched.
    Fedora does a lot of work upstream, many of the Fedora developers are maintainers of parts of the kernel, the tool chain as well as the X stack and GNOME. Innovation does happen in Fedora, we just choose to do it upstream.

Additionally, more people now work on Fedora who are not on Red Hat payroll than people who are. It is not the RHEL playground you claim, Red Hat elects to base their products on Fedora but it is a community driven project. I myself work on Fedora without taking a penny from RH. Red Hat does allow their employees to spend 20% of the time on personal projects, many elect to work on Fedora during this time, however the Fedora community now encompasses aside many skilled volunteers such companies as Dell, Intel and AMD. The steering committee and the Fedora Board are both comprised of more community people than Red Hat appointed members. We all shape Fedoras future together.

If Fedora is anything label worthy it's a technology engine, we produce and put innovative technology into the hands of people.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packag...rs/WhyUpstream
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Fedora, Fedora, Fedora.....

What do you want with this never ending Fedora talk ????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    Indeed upstream does the work, but Fedora actually have a big part in upstream work, unlike Ubuntu.
    I think MS is trying to do more.. Hence him hiring more people to work on different part of ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post

Hey plun, didn't you get the word that thread squashes have been re-listed BELOW exit speeches. lol

SJ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post

Because of the thread's title perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by BCurtisWX View Post
    I think MS is trying to do more.. Hence him hiring more people to work on different part of ubuntu.
    Mark only cares for forking things for Ubuntu's sole use. Also, he thinks he seems to think he controls FOSS (he e-mailed the GNOME people telling them to switch to Qt, and they just said "Who are you to tell us what to do").
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro

Also, he thinks he seems to think he controls FOSS (he e-mailed the GNOME people telling them to switch to Qt, and they just said "Who are you to tell us what to do").
    provide a link to that mail please
    "Computers are like air conditioners, when you open WINDOW$ they stop working."
    Όσο ζώ μαθαίνω ...
    If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
    Linus Torvalds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gourgi View Post
    provide a link to that mail please
    http://gnome.markmail.org/search/?q=...+state:results

Apparently GNOME's migration to git was delayed on Mark's request. - http://gnome.markmail.org/search/?q=...+state:results
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro

Mark only cares for forking things for Ubuntu's sole use. Also, he thinks he seems to think he controls FOSS (he e-mailed the GNOME people telling them to switch to Qt, and they just said "Who are you to tell us what to do").
    my my aren't you a good little troll. shuttleworth didn't send any mail to the gnome list telling them to switch. he said in an interview that it could be possible to use Qt for future Gnome.

and he didn't request them to postpone the switch to some form of DVCS.
    read YOUR links more careful before posting.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBellisBrown View Post
    Out of interest, if on release day, i was to upgrade to jaunty, will my filesystem remain ext3? Or will it change over to ext4? In order to change, would i be right in thinking i would have to reinstall Ubuntu fully?
    Even if you had Ext2 in your Ubuntu installation now and upgraded to Jaunty you would still have Ext2. Jauntys default file system will stay as Ext3 by default, but Ext4 by option. If you want Ext4 you can convert your existing Ext3 file system. Or you can install the system again, and do a manual partition.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast