Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP mini 1000 + 8.10 Intrepid Ibex problems

Beans

Question HP mini 1000 + 8.10 Intrepid Ibex problems

Hi everybody,
    I've installed Ubuntu Desktop 8.10 (i386) on my new HP mini 1000 and I'm experiencing some problems. I've looked around but I haven't found any solution yet. So any help/comments will be much appreciated. Maybe we can write a wikipage with information about getting all this fixed.

Power management
    - gnome-power-manager gets hanged sometimes. The icon disappears (leaving the space in the notification area) and the rest of the applets in the notification area get blocked. After some minutes everything starts to work again. This happens from time to time, maybe 5-6 in a full work day.
    - gnome-power-manager lags for several seconds to update the icon when I plug/unplug the AC cable, maybe just more symtptoms of the same issue.
    - Screen brightness goes up and down slowly by itself. This is very subtle but I've noticed because I like the screen to be at full brightness. I'm not sure but I think that this only happens while connected to AC power.
    - Hard drive clicking. I think this is a known issue, just wondering which of the available workarounds are people using.

Ethernet
    - Sometimes ethernet port is not recognized after booting. It doesn't show up in network manager nor can I use it through the command line: (rebooting uses to "fix it")
    Code:
    ~$ sudo ifdown eth0
    ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
    ~$ sudo ifup eth0
    Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    UPDATE: related bug -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/297263

Kernel Panics
    - I've got two kernel panics. Both of them while disconnecting all the cables at the end of the working day and trying to shut down the computer. "All the cables" is: AC adaptor, ethernet cable and USB-RS232 prolific adaptor. Maybe this is related to the power management issues as well.

Minor annoyances
    - The webcam is known to be very dark. Any software solution for ubuntu?
    - Anybody got multitouch to work on the touchpad? I really miss a two finger middle click.

Last edited by spacepluk; February 26th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Beans

Re: HP mini 1000 + 8.10 Intrepid Ibex problems

Bump, I have the same issues

Beans

Kernel panics are definetly related to the ethernet port driver (sky2).

Beans

Any more info on this?

I put UNR on my Mini 1000, and its working pretty well. Power management is no issue, but I've lost the ability to adjust the master volume, and I'm pretty sire the mic isn't working (though I know there's a fix for that one floating around). I installed the hardy-based Remix, rather than installing 8.1 and then adding the Remix packages.

I was considering rebuilding as 8.1, and adding the UNR on top, but now I'm wondering if there might be some deeper issues with 8.1 on the Mini.

-B

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would like to mention that I have some sort of display artifact occuring.

Every now and again a box appears, and displays whatever was located in the active window, but when the active window is scrolled up or down, the box with its contents, do not move. Closing the window does not close remove the artifact. The artifact seems to leave on its own volition.

I'm not exactly sure what is triggering said artifact, but it seems to occur whenever I'm using Firefox.

It could happen with other applications, however, I only use Firefox on this machine, so I don't really now if it's more a global problem or something that Firefox is doing.

Beans

I've been under a heavy load of work lately, and don't really have much time left to debug the issues. I'm still experiencing all the problems with an up to date 8.10, and somewhat learned to live with them...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Saghaulor View Post
    I would like to mention that I have some sort of display artifact occuring.

Every now and again a box appears, and displays whatever was located in the active window, but when the active window is scrolled up or down, the box with its contents, do not move. Closing the window does not close remove the artifact. The artifact seems to leave on its own volition.

I'm not exactly sure what is triggering said artifact, but it seems to occur whenever I'm using Firefox.

It could happen with other applications, however, I only use Firefox on this machine, so I don't really now if it's more a global problem or something that Firefox is doing.
    I don't see any display artifacts but I'm using metacity without compositing manager.

Beans
    Distro

I have disabled, and removed Compiz, so I am just using Metacity.

Spacepluk, I don't expect you to help me, especially if you don't have the time. I appreciate your response.

Any ideas are welcome.

Beans

Saghaulor, Have you tried on Windows? Just to discard a hardware problem.

UPDATE: ethernet issue related bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/297263

Beans
    Distro

I'm pretty confident that it is not a hardware issue. I have 9 of these netbooks, everyone has the same problem.

It's something in Ubuntu, I'm just not sure what. Next time it happens I'll try to capture a screen shot, maybe doing so can visually capture the glitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast