Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: installation help Intrepid

Beans

Re: installation help Intrepid

I take it you have used.. do use this remastersys thing?
    I got questions. As this is a fully new wubi install.. will it properly back up the wubi? So if i had to do another un install for what ever reason.. i could go through the wubi install then pop in this disk and replace all my settings? will it put back things like DVD codex's and other apt get items? ABI word, browser settings? compiz settings? or what Does this back up exactly?
    if i were to make a dist disk.. where i have the install set up just SO.. do i use IT for installing ubuntu? or do i do the ubuntu install.. and then ADD this to set up certain things?
    I will have to assume that it will not matter if i am using a full install.. a partition install or a wubi install to put these settings in?
    Anyway.. going on..
    ever heard of KEEPASS? i downloaded it so i can save back up all my passwords. but i can not figure out for the the life of me HOW IT WORKS. do you have any ideas on a great Save all.. password minder? i tend to forget some of these passwords and constantly having to ask for reminders sent in Email to get them back.

thanks Again.
    FWJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

remastersys allows you to make a backup copy of your system in the form of an ISO file that you can either burn to CD/DVD in order to create a custom live CD, or use to make a bootable USB drive that also provides a live environment. Then you would simply boot to the live CD/DVD/USB and use the built-in installer to recreate your custom system. It's intended for doing real installations of Ubuntu in a dedicated partition, but you could probably use the ISO file with wubi in order to create a custom wubi system. You just need to have the ISO file in the same directory as wubi.exe when you launch it, I believe.

I've never used keepass, but Ubuntu comes with a built-in password manager at Applications>Accessories>Passwords and Encryption Keys.

Beans

i followed that suggestion you made.. but this key manager.. i have not the first idea how to use it. I was just looking for some thing to manage my Firefox passwords.. so if i ever had to format.. i could use just one KEY to open them all up again.. not have to go looking for each and every one of them. some thing exterior to the OS itself.
    Some thing safe.. net based and secure. then i would only have to memorize maybe one password.. and all others would be kept in the KEY manager program.. what ever that maybe.
    FWJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unfortunately I don't know of any other keyring managers than the one built into Ubuntu. But if you google around, I suspect you'll find something. Maybe a Firefox extension or something along those lines...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213