Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackmail: get coupons.com printing or XP comes back

Beans

Blackmail: get coupons.com printing or XP comes back

I really do need more help. Several of you have resolved other issues for me, but here I am again on this days old ubuntu install.

www.coupons.com

They require a "Coupon Printer for Windows" and generally don't like linux at all. (What's the big deal, I wonder, with not supporting linux. Surely it can't be hard for them to write another little program? I digress...)

I barely know anything about ubuntu. I can go to terminal. I can follow directions. That's about it.

First, I have User Agent Switcher, and use that whenever I go to sites like this who prefer Microsoft.

Second, I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled Wine a few times. Every Wine window has the words all jumbled together, so I can't read anything it says.

Third, I downloaded the Coupon Printer, and tried to open it with Wine. It seems to install, but I can't read any of the words (Wine problem). The Coupon Printer shows up under Applications>Wine>Programs>Coupons .

Every time I try to print a coupon, the site asks me to download the Coupon Printer again.

I tried to uninstall the Coupon Printer, but it won't go away. So, once again I uninstalled Wine.

If I can't get this working this computer must return to XP. I don't want to though (but my wife really wants this working!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Blackmail: get coupons.com printing or XP comes back

Honestly, I think you should find a different coupon site. Why can't you just print the coupon right off the website? I'd be willing to bet their "coupon printing" software has some sort of spyware or malicious agenda. There is no reason you can't just print a coupon through your browser. I'm sure there are other coupon sites out there. This is a pretty extreme reason to quit using Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sowelie View Post
    Honestly, I think you should find a different coupon site. Why can't you just print the coupon right off the website? I'd be willing to bet their "coupon printing" software has some sort of spyware or malicious agenda. There is no reason you can't just print a coupon through your browser. I'm sure there are other coupon sites out there. This is a pretty extreme reason to quit using Ubuntu.
    Do you know some friendly coupon sites?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Their website states: Coupon printing is not supported on Linux or WebTV.

Looks like you need XP.

Ubuntu is awesome but it just doesnt support adware/spyware!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dark_harmonics View Post
    Their website states: Coupon printing is not supported on Linux or WebTV.

Looks like you need XP.

Ubuntu is awesome but it just doesnt support adware/spyware!
    Yes, but you guys are good. There are tons of sites linux can go to that he isn't supposed to, according to the website.

Yes, it is an extreme reason. I went to ubuntu so that I wouldn't have to spend money and time on virus and spyware monitoring and removal. However, I'll lose more money in coupon savings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

and our community doesnt respond well to blackmail either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mjheagle8 View Post
    and our community doesnt respond well to blackmail either.
    The title annoyed me and at the same time made it absolutely irresistible to click on.

Beans

I couldn't find the "tongue in cheek" smiley or the Capt'n Jack Sparrow accent. If the title is offensive, let me apologise, and Mods can delete it.

I don't mind if you're upfront with me. If you think it can work, and would like to help, that's cool. If you're pretty sure it won't work, again, cool - just let me know.

If you would prefer not to help, I'm OK with that too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They may support linux at a later date (just my guess). Look here...
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10145890-93.html
    Old As Dust.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I would recommend googling coupons, I personally don't use coupon sites, although maybe I should! Maybe go back to the old fashioned get them in the paper? I honestly wish I could help but I don't know of any coupon sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast